BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to be so vague but I was wondering if anyone could suggest what this could be, and whether anyone else has it :)

My car goes in on the 9th of Jan so no big problem but Im interested in what the noise is. After using the car for a long or short journey when I switch it off and remove the key, after between 3-5 seconds there is a noise from the engine bay which I can only describe as something griding for 0.5 - 1 sec then everything is silent as expected.

Thanks for any help,
Stuart.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestions. My car is in for a few other things on the 9th so I'll get them to check and post back what they say.

Thanks,
Stuart.

·
1.888.JLEVISW
29,545 Posts
-=Stu=- said:
Thanks for the suggestions. My car is in for a few other things on the 9th so I'll get them to check and post back what they say.

Thanks,
Stuart.
Be careful when you bring it in that they don't blame it on your "destructive" ACS body kit, it might prevent the engine from working well:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :thumbup:

·
Registered
186 Posts
same here.
i am not really sure, but i think that i only have that sound after installing aftermarket intake, JC to be exact. Do you guys have aftermarket intake too?

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hehe thanks for the info. Come to think of it the noise has becuase more noticeable since I put my GruppeM on. My dealership know about that and even made a bracket for me for it :) which I have to pick up, so shouldn't have any blame of aftermarket parts etc etc.

It sounds as if its ok then. They'll probably check it when its in. Lets hope its not a problem, or everyone who has replied will have it as well hehe :D

Thanks for the help,
Stuart.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Its the recirculation vent flaps

I have the same noise. I verified that its the recirculation flaps, I believe that they are closing automatically.
How I checked: I set the fan to low and pressed the recirculation button on the climate control. I kept pressing it and was able to hear the motor noise as the setting changed.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Vent flaps. That's what I said yesterday...

See your manual page 187 under "Self diagnostics"

"Even after you shut off the engine, the overall functional status of your vehicle is monitored. For example, all of the flaps of the heating and ventilation system travel to the nearest limit posi-tion. This ensures that the defrost func-tion
is always available even if a malfunction in the air conditioner
system/automatic climate control should occur while the vehicle is
parked overnight, for instance.

A calibration cycle runs every tenth time the engine is shut off. During this cycle, the actuator motors of all the heating and ventilation flaps travel to their limit stops in both directions. The limit posi-tions and the return travel paths are checked in this manner in order to ensure that appropriate adjustments for the operating elements can be made at any time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts