E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
If this has already been covered, sorry!

I know how to repaint the black pieces, but how would you go about refinishing the grey center console (the part that holds the cup holders/change holder).

I plan on buying new cup holders and change holder since I'm going to run a backup camera under my center dash and put my Dynavin in, I thought I should just redo all of it.

I was thinking about sanding it down with 220 grit and just putting a layer of primer, but will that bring the same color and finish? Or should I go with a grey plasti dip with a clear coat? Or does anyone else have any other ideas?

I know I can get a whole set up from ECS Tuning, but is there a DIY on it?

Thanks! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
488 Posts
Soak in hot water scrub with scotch Brite pad for nonstick cookware until grey paint comes off, you will be left with a clean grey surface you can't scratch slightly more shiny than OEM. Oh and you own a BMW there's no cheap place to get $hit. Get bmw parts .com is reccomended.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Soak in hot water scrub with scotch Brite pad for nonstick cookware until grey paint comes off, you will be left with a clean grey surface you can't scratch slightly more shiny than OEM.
Will it still match all the other grey trim pieces in terms of color/shade of grey?

·
Registered
488 Posts
Oh and I just had to write this, it's so sad we have so many a$$holes here that we have to apologize when we post, because the topic was possibly already covered! All those a$$ hole should get a life.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I've always been one to use search and I did, but you always have people who assume you're an idiot because you post about something they either already know how to do or have done. But still could always miss something.

I'll try it when it probably this weekend. I'm gonna order a console from ECS just in case, and if it does turn out good, I'll return it! Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Bimmer App

·
Registered
64 Posts
I had the same questions a few months back. I choose not to plasti dip because of the possibility of it flaking after awhile and didn't want to shell out a bunch of money either. I just painted all of the center console black, I think it brings a bit more contrast to the plain gray interior.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had the same questions a few months back. I choose not to plasti dip because of the possibility of it flaking after awhile and didn't want to shell out a bunch of money either. I just painted all of the center console black, I think it brings a bit more contrast to the plain gray interior.
Pictures? :D

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
before

after

the only remaining parts that are grey are the ebrake boot and the top part of the arm rest.
I really, really like that. Guess I know what I'm doing with this center console since I just ordered a new one!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Start from the back storage. You need to remove those screws after you pull up the storage piece, and then take apart the sides of the arm rest, and then from the front at the shifter, and it should pull right out.

·
Registered
34 Posts
It's got 2 screws at the bottom and 3 tiny clips at the back end. Just pull it up after you removed the screws and the whole piece should pop out. You can bend the ears a bit toward the sides to prevent them scratching the arm rest leather while they are moving up.

It may be worth mentioning that you don't need to remove the arm rest itself in order to get the console out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts