BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a set of H&R Sport Springs - 29484 from this site yesterday. They are charging $217 for a set, plus shipping, which was $12 for me. The site is a little odd, and they don't have much in the way of BMW inventory. I found them on a Google Shopping search. I checked them out with several sites that rate online retailers, as well as the BBB, and everything looks to be legit. They also take PayPal, so you have that additional protection. It is definitely the lowest price I have seen, and I have been looking for weeks. Even the shipping is less than most places. I have seen used sets selling for more than this in the Classifieds.
http://autoplicity.com/products/477807-hr_29484_hr_springs_sport_springs.aspx

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just an update - I received these on Friday, 3/23, so the shipping is very fast. They were shipped direct from H&R, and everything is correct. Definitely real H&R Sports, in original H&R packaging, with full warranty documentation. So it appears that the site is legit, and selling H&R Sports for the best price I have seen.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'm definitely going to look in to that site...are you mounting the h&rs on your stock shocks?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Bimmer App

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I'm definitely going to look in to that site...are you mounting the h&rs on your stock shocks?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Bimmer App
No, I am going with these, also found at the lowest price I have ever seen. I do see that Tire Rack is offering the same price, but no free shipping.
http://www.namotorsports.net/Koni/Suspension/Shocks-Struts/Part-Number=KO2100.4006

I decided to try these, instead of the regular Koni Adjustables, since I wanted an improved OEM ride. Something stiffer than the ZHP suspension, but only about 15-20% more than that. I realize that does not sound terribly exciting, but I drove a race prepped Miata for 10 years, and so I have had my fill of race car stiffness in a daily driver. But I do miss some of that edge of the knife turning and cornering ability. So, hopefully, this setup will give me enough. Also, this car is going to be passed on to my wife, when I pick my next project, and she will not tolerate a really stiff, jittery car.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good to know. You should post some before and after pics
I will do that, but it will be a while. I am basically taking the car into the garage for a major overhaul/refresh/restoration. There are a lot of things that need to be replaced because of age, or they are failing. These are some of the last parts I was looking for. I have been buying stuff slowly but regularly, mainly waiting until I found the best price. I got the springs and shocks this week, as well as a set of Meyle HD control arms, FCAB's, and RTAB's.
Over the last year, I have bought these parts to be replaced:
Stewart water Pump ($170 shipped)
LUK LF30 power steering pump , reservoir, and all of the hoses
ECS Tuning Overdrive (+7%) water pump pulley
All the other belts and pulley's, and tensioners
New radiator
New cooling hoses, ET, every fitting that attaches to the ET, heater hoses, sensors (OEM)
New fan and clutch
Stett Intake Hoses (slightly used, $55)
New Guibo ($40 shipped)
New Valve Cover and oil filter housing Gaskets
New OEM CCV and hoses, redesigned dipstick tube, and intake manifold Gaskets.
New NGK plugs and 6 OEM coils.
New ICV
Front hubs ($150/set, SKF) and rear wheel Bearings (OEM)
New brake pads (Pagid) and rotors (OEM Rotors, $160 shipped for set)
12 used injectors, that I sent off to be rebuilt/cleaned and made into a flow matched set of 6.
Remanufactured Vanos from Dr Vanos (better than OEM unit, or Bessian kit, IMO)
All of the nuts, bolts, etc to attach all of this. I am not re-using any hardware at all. About $300 for all of them, OEM BMW. I decided to use OEM because it became determining the correct size, fastener grade, type, etc, became too much to manage. In the end, it was just easier to order a part number.
So, I decided to just do all of this at once, since one thing seems to lead to another. It will be easier to do the Oil Filter Housing Gasket, Vanos, VCG, etc, when I have the radiator out, and all of the belts off, and the water pump out. I can replace the ICV when I have the intake out to get at the Power Steering pump. Lots of things like that pretty much lead me to decide to just do it all at once. Hopefully, it will be like a new car when I am done.
I have bought a lot of this stuff from the classifieds on here. If you are not in a hurry, you can make good deals on new, OEM parts that people are selling because they ordered the wrong part, or sold the car, or it was totaled, before they installed the parts. I have saved a ton of money by doing this. The rest of it was bought by searching for the best price, over weeks or months. Sometimes it was just waiting until someone was offering free shipping. I have spent a lot, but it could have been way more. My wife swears that I am building a new car. :)

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
JleviSW comes out to be cheaper for the same springs but that's thanks to my location.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I will do that, but it will be a while. I am basically taking the car into the garage for a major overhaul/refresh/restoration. There are a lot of things that need to be replaced because of age, or they are failing. These are some of the last parts I was looking for. I have been buying stuff slowly but regularly, mainly waiting until I found the best price. I got the springs and shocks this week, as well as a set of Meyle HD control arms, FCAB's, and RTAB's.
Over the last year, I have bought these parts to be replaced:
Stewart water Pump ($170 shipped)
LUK LF30 power steering pump , reservoir, and all of the hoses
ECS Tuning Overdrive (+7%) water pump pulley
All the other belts and pulley's, and tensioners
New radiator
New cooling hoses, ET, every fitting that attaches to the ET, heater hoses, sensors (OEM)
New fan and clutch
Stett Intake Hoses (slightly used, $55)
New Guibo ($40 shipped)
New Valve Cover and oil filter housing Gaskets
New OEM CCV and hoses, redesigned dipstick tube, and intake manifold Gaskets.
New NGK plugs and 6 OEM coils.
New ICV
Front hubs ($150/set, SKF) and rear wheel Bearings (OEM)
New brake pads (Pagid) and rotors (OEM Rotors, $160 shipped for set)
12 used injectors, that I sent off to be rebuilt/cleaned and made into a flow matched set of 6.
Remanufactured Vanos from Dr Vanos (better than OEM unit, or Bessian kit, IMO)
All of the nuts, bolts, etc to attach all of this. I am not re-using any hardware at all. About $300 for all of them, OEM BMW. I decided to use OEM because it became determining the correct size, fastener grade, type, etc, became too much to manage. In the end, it was just easier to order a part number.
So, I decided to just do all of this at once, since one thing seems to lead to another. It will be easier to do the Oil Filter Housing Gasket, Vanos, VCG, etc, when I have the radiator out, and all of the belts off, and the water pump out. I can replace the ICV when I have the intake out to get at the Power Steering pump. Lots of things like that pretty much lead me to decide to just do it all at once. Hopefully, it will be like a new car when I am done.
I have bought a lot of this stuff from the classifieds on here. If you are not in a hurry, you can make good deals on new, OEM parts that people are selling because they ordered the wrong part, or sold the car, or it was totaled, before they installed the parts. I have saved a ton of money by doing this. The rest of it was bought by searching for the best price, over weeks or months. Sometimes it was just waiting until someone was offering free shipping. I have spent a lot, but it could have been way more. My wife swears that I am building a new car. :)
I known how ya feel. I just did a dr vannnos, valve cover gasket, spark plugs, oil filer housing gasket, water pump, upper radiator hose, both belt tensioner and pulleys, oil change, power steering cap o ring and steam cleaned the whole engine bay and it took me almost all day

1 - 9 of 9 Posts