E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone seen this before? It's a tracker from Montage Systems I believe.

Tracker

Hand Input device Finger Circuit component Nail

Circuit component Electrical wiring Computer hardware Cable Computer

I was working on my car with my father and when he went to look for the fuel pump relay he looked in the fuse box, he saw a couple blinking lights. The car had no key in the ignition at the time. We pulled it out, and it was very obviously not oem. When we looked up the CDMA number, we found that it was a tracker.

I am the fourth owner, and the car was bought new in California by Owner 1. Owner 1 had the car for years until his wife commited suicide. I heard he was distraught, quickly selling the car to Owner 2 who soon sold it to Owner 3 in Michigan. Owner 3 had the car for a year, was about to be a father, so he sold it to me, Owner 4. My guess is that if anyone installed this, it was someone associated with Owner 1. Thus car, to my knowledge, has not been repo'd ever.

What do you guys think? Safe to remove?

·
Premium Member
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
12,297 Posts
Dealerships usually install these in case of non payment. They don't bother to remove them after the car is paid off.
Yes, usually one of those unscrupulous dealers that will finance anyone at ridiculous rates.
Don't pay....... They know where the car is.

·
Registered
17 Posts

Tracker

View attachment 923301

View attachment 923302

I was working on my car with my father and when he went to look for the fuel pump relay he looked in the fuse box, he saw a couple blinking lights. The car had no key in the ignition at the time. We pulled it out, and it was very obviously not oem. When we looked up the CDMA number, we found that it was a tracker.

I am the fourth owner, and the car was bought new in California by Owner 1. Owner 1 had the car for years until his wife commited suicide. I heard he was distraught, quickly selling the car to Owner 2 who soon sold it to Owner 3 in Michigan. Owner 3 had the car for a year, was about to be a father, so he sold it to me, Owner 4. My guess is that if anyone installed this, it was someone associated with Owner 1. Thus car, to my knowledge, has not been repo'd ever.

🤔hmmmmm at first the idea of that being a LoJack device was something I thought about too but to be honest with you if somebody was to install LoJack they would’ve told you that is one of the selling points. They would’ve said something to you in regards to it being there so there will be no secret but would’ve told you it was there in case someone stole it as the 46 BMWs are becoming a little bit more sought after now. I guess it’s really a coin toss to be honest. If you can’t really find out any real information to the backstory I would just get rid of it and install something that you know to be there if you want to to as an anti-theft deterrent

·
Registered
39 Posts
If they spent the $ and effort to put a tracker into it, they took the time and money into another key. It would be logical that whoever has access to that tracker has access to that key. I’m sure that former shady dealer wouldn’t come take a vehicle they have no right to, but what about his employees, their mad ex-wife, 22yo coked up kid....

Remove the tracker, and move on.

·
Premium Member
4,500 Posts
Attach tracker to some other vehicle that your obnoxious neighbor owns,
and then agreed,
edit your 'active keys' list to exclude all the keys you don't have.

t
is convinced Apple put a chip into his phone that lets them track him.

·
Administrator
20,239 Posts
edit your 'active keys' list to exclude all the keys you don't have.
^^^This. Then buy a second key if you don't already have one.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you all for the help. I'll find a safe way to remove it and then research some weather balloons for rent to send this thing to the stratosphere.

^^^This. Then buy a second key if you don't already have one.
Where can I find this list?
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2,635 Posts
If you were that interested, the S/N might indicate to the manufacturer when it was made/sold (approx). Then you might be able to narrow down which owner installed it - assuming they share that info with you.

Parents with kids and anybody listing their car with a rideshare program (getaround, Turo) might be other explanations as to why someone installed it.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts

Tracker

View attachment 923301

View attachment 923302

FBI. You're gonna jail!!

·
Registered
2003 M3 Coupe Manual
170 Posts
The aftermarket relay that is spliced in looks suspect as well. There are GPS trackers that look like relays and since it's spliced in like it is and is not factory I would look into what it is and how to remove that as well. Maybe it's for angel eyes or fogs who knows but a wiring diagram to identify the wires it's spliced into would be wise. One of them I found when researching actually spliced into the fuel system and could remotely cut off the fuel pump.

Good luck

·
Registered
2003 M3 Coupe Manual
170 Posts

·
Administrator
20,239 Posts
Where can I find this list?
Using BMW Scanner 1.4.
Hit this link, then scroll down to the EWS Options section.

·
Registered
2001 330ci vert, 2002 325xi, 2002 325xi
4 Posts

Tracker

View attachment 923301

View attachment 923302

Definitely a tracker from a finance company, here's the link to the actual device, I remove them from my customers vehicles and like someone else mentioned, they don't bother removing them. Most I come across have been in the vehicle for years so it's safe to say you can go ahead and remove it. If it splices in between 2 wires, make sure you reconnect them.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.