E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got to love BMW security.

Funny story to day. I went down to look a pinball machines and it was kind of hot today so I took my jacket off and threw it in the trunk. About ½ a sec after I closed the lid I thought to my self. *** I hope my keys weren’t in my jacket pocket ***

Well they where. And I only have 1 key. So after AAA showed up they basically said,
“O it’s a BMW? I am sorry. We can’t get into those. You need to call a lock smith.” I was like grate. Thanks. Thinking, I told these guys right over the phone exactly what car I had. So then AAA calls a locksmith. He shows up and says. “yep, just what I thought. Sorry, can’t open these cars. You need to go to the dealership and have a key made.”

Ok. Now I was kind of pissed. I also told him over the phone exactly what car I had. I don’t care I locked my keys in the trunk any more. I just want someone who knows what they are doing. So I ask him. BMW uses those layer cut keys with the transponder in them. Don’t they take a week to order? He said that’s normally right. Then suggested if I couldn’t wait I could knock out the small back window. And open the doors to get in the trunk. Nope, nope. First I would never do that. Second it wouldn’t work. The door locks would not unlock unless you have the single from the key.

So now I call BMW dealership. They right away confirm everything these morons at AAA have been telling me. And they could rush order a key in 2 to 3 days. Nice hun?

I am with out a car until Friday. Now…. That’s not all!

New key cost $110 :yikes:
My wallet + diver license was also in my jacket pocket :banghead:
My 330 ring gauges are in their front seat. ( witch I was most pissed at because I was heading home right after to install them )
I have left over jack in the box sitting in the back seat. :banghead:
The car is stuck down in the back ally of a business park. :banghead:
My backpack and all my work is locked in side. :banghead:
I am under 25 so BMW is not giving a loaner car. And since my license and all that good stuff is in the car… I can’t get one anyways. :sad:
I am going on a cruse Friday! If the key doesn’t come in on time I won’t have my id, and I can’t leave the country! :banghead:
I have already used my 3 AAA service calls a year with my Delorean. So the AAA guys coming out cost me 25 bucks an hour. ( each )
As soon as I install the rings I was going to start working on another custom mod.
Tomorrow I was going down to upholstery shop to get cost on embroidering e46 fanatics into my headrest. :sad:
I don’t have a car for 3 days of school or work! :banghead:

Its been a grate day! :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:
But! At least I know it’s hard to brake into the trunk of an e46’s

·
moderation in all things
884 Posts
dude, u should have a total of 4 keys... 2 regular, 1 valet, and 1 wallet key.
:dunno:

actually, it's not difficult to get into a BMW, unfortunately the criminals know how.
:sad:

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jason330i said:
dude, u should have a total of 4 keys... 2 regular, 1 valet, and 1 wallet key.

Yea I should. But when I bought my car they only gave me one. They said that was the only key turned in.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Sucks to be u.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

·
Believe it!!!
807 Posts
i have my wallet key.. in my wallet.... just in case i lose one of my regular keys.. i have my wallet key in handy...

i just hope i dont lose my wallet one day.. *knocks on wood"

good luck...

·
Registered
29 Posts
HAHA that happened to me too. . i locked my keys in my trunk, then i called bmw roadside . .then they sent a tow truck. . the guy said he cant open these . . and that they wouldnt tow it to a dealership cause that would **** it up. . so then i had to call my aunt in sacramento, im in sandiego for college. ..and she overnighted a spare key. .and thank goodness i received it the next day and was able to get on with my life haha. yea hopefully u get ur situation resolved asap. . . anyways. .it does make a funny story to tell ppl haha. .

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hmm

TimeFor,

I don't get it. You are calling the guys at AAA morons because they told you the correct info? Same could be said for you. Look who is the moron for locking himself out and to only buy a car with one key? Geez when purchasing a car, I would think the one key would raise questions to normal people but I guess not for morons.

Hey you gotta love BMW security, it's doing exactly what it is suppose to, plus it makes it next to impossible for anyone trying to make a copy of your keys. In essence, "working as designed".

JBlue :flipoff:

·
yo mama
1,575 Posts
yeah but the burglars will just break a window or pull out your lock cylender. The security is only good against driving the car off, or from a locked out owner who does not want to damage the car.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Delirium,

TRUEEE.. Breaking the windows affects any car. However have u considered getting the keys programmed. I read something about not de-activating the alarm when the lock cylinder is unlocked. Dunno if that works. Guess nothing is perfect. :dunno:

JB

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
JBlue, no I known I messed up. I just thought that maybe the processionals who deal with this every day might have known to just tell me over the phone that BMW had to open the door. It just wasn't necessary for me to sit and wait for and hour and 1/2 to find out they couldn't do anything.

I know it was stupid of me not to get another key. I wanted to when I bought the car. Even the dealer said I should get one. But my parents bought the car and they would have to pay for it. When the dealer told them the price they said we would wait on it.

Good news. I am now getting that key!

I don't know why my smiles didn't work. I had to click to disable them because when I went to post it said I had too many every time. Maybe there was a glitch in the board earlier? I didn't know there was a limit.

#1: I like pinball machines. Are you getting one?

Yea we have one. We have the Street Fight II Pin Ball. Lots of fun. We just got it. I was there asking them about getting the Street Fight Arcade Game to go with it. And have them fix some lights that went out.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Timefor,

In those sistuations I wish too they don't have their heads up their @ss. Unfortunately we are all guilty of that at times.

Well at least this situation will not happen again.

Good luck.

JB

·
Banned
1,947 Posts
You should always have a spare key. If the dealer didn't have one you should've asked them to make you one. You shoulda just broken the little window.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't think you can un lock the doors without unlocking them from the out side first. And I need to press the unlock button to unlock the trunk.

·
Registered
129 Posts
to hell with all the trouble, I would have broken the little window, to get inside the car.

well actually I would have just bought ANOTHER FRIGGEN KEY earlier, but some of us need to learn the hard way:)

but before we all laugh, we should pause and think back to some of our "genius" moments where we have done something like this, or or even dumber!

good luck man!:)

·
Registered
30 Posts
TimeFor said:

I have left over jack in the box sitting in the back seat. :banghead:

that's your cars way of saying "DONT PUT FOOD IN ME!!!"

hehehe, j/p

what part of riverside are you from?

·
Registered
48 Posts
well theres more bad news....someone out there has 3 keys to YOUR car.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts