BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a crappy way to start the day. On my way to work in Newport Beach and was stopped at a red light waiting to make a right turn. Then bam! rear ended by some lady driving an Acura TL. She gets out of the car apologizing and saying she didn't see me. How do you not see a car with its turn signal flashing, stopped at a red light?!? Man, I'm so pissed. I just bought my car less than a month ago! Anyway, the damage doesn't seem that bad. My lower right reflector is gone and the bumper's all scraped up, but it's not crumpled in or anything. I'm thinking that basically I should just get my entire rear bumper replaced since no way in hell am I gonna just let them repaint the bumper of a brand new car. Talked to her husband, cuz she was completely clueless and didn't even know her insurance company, and he wants to pay out of pocket. He thinks it's going to be only a few hundred dollars, but I seriously doubt that. Anyway, should I take it to the dealer and get an estimate there? Or are there other places in the South Bay you guys recommend? Also, is there anything else I need to get checked out, like if the chassis is crooked or something? Any other things I should do? Thanks.

·
Registered
395 Posts
SupaFOB said:
What a crappy way to start the day. On my way to work in Newport Beach and was stopped at a red light waiting to make a right turn. Then bam! rear ended by some lady driving an Acura TL. She gets out of the car apologizing and saying she didn't see me. How do you not see a car with its turn signal flashing, stopped at a red light?!? Man, I'm so pissed. I just bought my car less than a month ago! Anyway, the damage doesn't seem that bad. My lower right reflector is gone and the bumper's all scraped up, but it's not crumpled in or anything. I'm thinking that basically I should just get my entire rear bumper replaced since no way in hell am I gonna just let them repaint the bumper of a brand new car. Talked to her husband, cuz she was completely clueless and didn't even know her insurance company, and he wants to pay out of pocket. He thinks it's going to be only a few hundred dollars, but I seriously doubt that. Anyway, should I take it to the dealer and get an estimate there? Or are there other places in the South Bay you guys recommend? Also, is there anything else I need to get checked out, like if the chassis is crooked or something? Any other things I should do? Thanks.
take to dealer since the money is not comin out of ur pocket:thumbup:

·
Groccery Getter
904 Posts
SupaFOB said:

Sorry to hear bro. I agree take it to the dealer.

·
[]D[][]V[][]D[][]\[]
2,782 Posts
why were u waiting at the redlight ? i thought you could make right turns on redlights :dunno:

·
I holla
1,668 Posts
ac325ci said:
why were u waiting at the redlight ? i thought you could make right turns on redlights :dunno:
on comming traffic....

once all i paid attention to was the oncomming traffic and complete forgot about the pedestrians, and i hit stupid bicyclist going the wrong way on a bike lane :banghead:

btw, what's the difference between getting the old bumper repainted rather than a new one painted. seems like it would make much difference if its not cracked or anything. :dunno:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Get it in writing

I have been rear ended twice and both time the individual gave me BS about how bad their record is and begged me to not report it to the police. One day later after the incident both individuals reported it to their insurance company that I rear ended them. In the first case they lost, in the second case they won, so basically.

If a person says that they are going to pay you, get it in writing and if possible get it signed in front of a notiary.

I won the case in CT but in PA the laws are so screwed up and ancient that they will throw the case away if the individual points the finger back at you.

as for the bumper get it done by the dealer because some of your internal parts, switches, brakets have also been damaged. A local body shop will just give you an general estimate while BMW will give you an almost exact number.
When my bumper was hit, bmw said $1200 and two local body shops said $500, the local body shop didnt take internal parts into consideration when fixing/painting the bumper.
good luck

·
^_^
1,507 Posts
I just picked up my car from a BMW dealer yesterday to have my rear bumper and the center molding replaced (REAR ENDED) as well. Total cost to $754 w/ 8% NY state tax. So there you go! Sorry to hear that. My car's only 3.5 months old when it got rear-ended as well.

However, I would suggest you claim the insurance since there might be medical problems? Back/neck soreness/pain? Just to be safe.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts