BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah.. the rear bumper basically has to go, it's crushed, but the good thing is that there's no damage on the body.. from just looking at it though.. The story is that I was following a convoy of friends, my friend in a matrix was up front, I was in the middle and this old grand am was behind me, when we approached the stoplight which was turning yellow at the time, the matrix decides to break hard, so of course I did it as well, I guess the grand am wasn't paying attention and braked too late.. and then BAM.. I was so pissed. I guess it's all for the better.. I have an excuse to actually get the Mtech kit.. but it definitely sucks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Have a shop/adjuster look at it anyways. The bumper shocks on these cars are very tempermental, I got rear ended at < 5mph and had to replace the cover and bumper shocks on my A4. I would assume it's much the same for BMW as it is for Audi, they gotta cut costs somewhere.

Good luck getting it fixed.

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Wait, for those of who keep getting in accidents and then replacing it with the Mtech kit, does insurance pay for that or do you pay for the difference or do you pay for the whole thing? How does that work? If insurance is paying for it I might just take off my bumper, beat it up and then stick it back on and claim it was a hit and run....haha, just kidding but it would be good to know in case I ever got in an accident...

·
[]D[][]V[][]D[][]\[]
2,844 Posts
what dumbass friend

·
Registered
31 Posts
2001BMW330xi said:
Wait, for those of who keep getting in accidents and then replacing it with the Mtech kit, does insurance pay for that or do you pay for the difference or do you pay for the whole thing? How does that work? If insurance is paying for it I might just take off my bumper, beat it up and then stick it back on and claim it was a hit and run....haha, just kidding but it would be good to know in case I ever got in an accident...
In most situations someone does an estimate, either body shop or adjuster, and the insurance company cuts YOU a check, not the body shop. From there... it's your choice what to do. Lots of guys go aftermarket... I would.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
They'll cut you a check for the cost of replacement/repair with the original parts. Whatever the difference is between that and the aftermarket stuff is up to you.

·
Beware of pwner
1,784 Posts
mickey513 said:
Not all company will cut you the check. I know that AAA only writes the check to the bodyshop only.
I was hit by someone with AAA insurance, and they sent me the check in my name. :dunno:

Sorry to hear about your accident, bro. :sad:

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Lol I just got rear ended 5 days ago, Allstate adjuster looked at my cracked bumper and said it can be repaired. And decided $391 for damages. Mu-hahahahaha! gluing my bumper so it looks OK. I dont think so budy! So I went to body-shop which my dealer ship uses for their cars. Guys was great he is gonna get me M-tech bumper. I might have to pay +$70 for it though.

FOR PHILLY AREA body-shops, I nearly called all the body shops that BMW dealer ships recommended.

Classic CoachWork Norh in Ambler, PA which was recommended by my dealership stood out. The guy was extremely professional and polite, and he knew exactly what he was talking about BMW body kits and such. I will tell you about the workman-ship once they finish my car (goes in 1/26/04 for a week) :( have to wait close to a month!

·
Banned
2,046 Posts
Allstate sucks a$$. They screwed with my cousin and grandpa too. One of them (can't remember which) was sitting in the parking lot when a car backed into them. Allstate adjuster decided it was 50-50 fault. What kinda idiot adjuster assigns more fault to their own customer?

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
kjgarreau said:
Have a shop/adjuster look at it anyways. The bumper shocks on these cars are very tempermental, I got rear ended at < 5mph and had to replace the cover and bumper shocks on my A4. I would assume it's much the same for BMW as it is for Audi, they gotta cut costs somewhere.

Good luck getting it fixed.
Yeap, got the bumper shocks, bumper, and bumper cover replaced when I was rear-ended. Make sure they check everything. To the untrained eye mine only looked like it had slight bumper cover deformation and spider-webbing of the paint.

Oh yeah, it also gave me an excuse to buy the ACS insert for the M-Technik bumper and get it installed at the same time ;)

Good luck with your claim.

·
Senior Eurowerkz Member
13,151 Posts
sorry to hear about your trouble but

check to see if the cross bar behind the rear bumber is bended.
look inside your car under the piece that is on top of your spare tire. same thing happen to me. i did not know that that piece was bended untill i want to dealer bodyshop. that was a 500.00
item. you have to know about it to check it out. if a body shop is in a hurry they can over look it. bring it to their attention to
double check it. and glad you were alright. have a nice holiday
better things are comming in 2004 for you.
bobm3 :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the advice guys, yeah later today I'll be ordering the Mtech pieces and going over to the body shop to get an estimate on how bad the damage is.. thanks again

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I got rear ended a week ago too, luckily not in my 330 but in my few month old rsx-s:sad: . I heard a loud boom and my car jolted a few feet at red light. I came out and expected some fat ass damage but to my amazement, the bumper was still in tack and only some minor paint damage. I bought it to a body shop to look at just in case and surely enough, the bumper had been pushed in and they told me the rear metal thing holding the bumper might be bent. Looks can be deceiving when you get rear ended. Best to bring it to a shop.

And that insurnace company is gay. Repair a bumper is one of the stupidest thing you can do especially if it's cracked or damaged.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts