E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
today at a stop light someone ran into the back of me while braking so it wasnt a huge impact but was at about 20mph id guess, anyways the paint is chipped in one spot and there are scratches and the bumper is pushed in about an inch on the entire bottom and middle so the bottom black trim is sticking out farther than the rest of the bumper.

at the accident the cop said it looked like it was under $500 so he didnt write a report and told the other guy that he should just pay for it to be repaired out of pocket, so i got the guys info and everything and went on my way.

anyways every body shop i went to said replacing the bumper isnt necessary and the average quote to fix it was between $600-$700 to repair the existing bumper and repaint it.

well i dont want the existing bumper to be repaired as im afraid it will never look perfect and i want to get an mtech II to replace it.

so how could i get the other guys insurance to cover a new bumper instead and not replace it with the same one? i mean why not get a free mod while i can lol.

·
Registered
497 Posts
That cops a jerk off. Thats a $900-1100 insurance check that should be in your hands right now, hes not an insurance adjuster he is not allowed to make that call. Either way any body shop should be able to paint and install a rear bumper for around $300. You should order the bumper and have it done that way and make the person who hit you pay the bill, it will be around $600-700 if you want to show them the estimate from the body shop that you already have.

·
Registered
8,001 Posts
What kind of car was it? 20 MPH is a huge impact, I doubt he was going that fast.

It could easily be over $500 if anything other than the bumper cover was damaged, and its very possible that's the case.

Not getting a report is good, it wont go on your carfax.

Take it to a shop to make sure NOTHING else is damaged? Maybe take the cover off to inspect?

My father was rear ended while driving my car last June. He sustained injures to his head, neck, and back that still bother him today. He is having treatment and slowly recovering. If you have any pains at all, dont ignore them. They'll only get worse.

Your going to have to talk to the shop that your bring it to I think. Offer to chip in for any difference in price.

Good luck. My car was in for 5 weeks and after $4200 the rear tail light, unibody, and rear plate were all fixed up. Oh, and 1/2 the car is new paint. New trunk too.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
his car was perfectly fine, it was some ghetto mercury, he said he doesnt care about damage to his car. but the dude looked poor as hell.

my parents are saying theres no way i can get an aftermarket bumper or it will be illegal or something.

·
Invalid User
10,503 Posts
go to a bodyshop to get an estimate, then send that to the insurance company and ask for a check.
if they do not want to issue a check to you, tell the bodyshop to quote you for a mtechII bumper, paint,and install.
it shouldn't be much more.

·
Registered
8,001 Posts
See if his insurance will hand you a check for the repair... that way instead of paying the shop to refinish the bumper you can buy a new one and have the shop paint it.

·
Registered
497 Posts
well what the cop did was illegal lol, the car will be perfectly legal as if the bumper wasnt repairable the insurance company would be putting an aftermarket bumper on the car anyway.

There are 2 shock absorber tubes behind the bumper that you would have been paid for if this went through insurance (and you would be paid OEM MSRP) that wouldn't really need to be replaced, as well as more in paint time to blend the quarters and possibly even the trunk if the adjuster was nice. Also you should be paid at least for set up and measure for a pull incase the car needs a pull, thats at least 1 hour.

·
Registered
599 Posts
The driver at fault's insurance is obliged to get your cars rear end inspected for integrity (sub frame is prone to fail, I'm sure this didn't help).

They are also required to pay for any damages to the body and or structural to bring your vehicle back to a safe operating and esthetically pleasing appearance / condition for a sum of $$$ that is reasonable per multiple quotes and adjuster investigation.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
my parents are saying theres no way i can get an aftermarket bumper or it will be illegal or something.
Technically - it would be fraud. The insurance company is required to make the car whole - not to install mods that were not on the car.

Get the estimates and a check and then get what you want. They (the insurance company) likely will not check back up on what was done to the car.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Technically - it would be fraud. The insurance company is required to make the car whole - not to install mods that were not on the car.

Get the estimates and a check and then get what you want. They (the insurance company) likely will not check back up on what was done to the car.

not exactly. Keeping the money is fraud, he has to pay taxes on it some how.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
That cops a jerk off. Thats a $900-1100 insurance check that should be in your hands right now, hes not an insurance adjuster he is not allowed to make that call.
+1 you should have insisted on him writing it up or get his badge to report him. Accident is accident and there is no limit on what the damage amount is for a write up since the only proof you have without a report is your word against the other driver's.

but the dude looked poor as hell.
That's not your problem--that is his and he should not have been following too closely. Own up, pay up. Hopefully cop wrote him a ticket. :4ngie:

·
Registered
8,001 Posts
+1 you should have insisted on him writing it up or get his badge to report him. Accident is accident and there is no limit on what the damage amount is for a write up since the only proof you have without a report is your word against the other driver's.

That's not your problem--that is his and he should not have been following too closely. Own up, pay up. Hopefully cop wrote him a ticket. :4ngie:
I agree with your views. My family has been in quite a few accidents over the years - none caused by us - but we're completely fed up with people that aren't legitimate and upfront in an accident situation.

Accident is accident is true. Previous owner of my car was in a very, very slight "fender bender" with my car.... so slight that we probably never would have noticed if it wasnt for the carfax which had a report on it. Got it fixed very easily

Agree'd. They hit you, they pay.

·
Registered
11,042 Posts
Holy crap there is some bad info in this thread, where's NOVAbimmer when you need him?
Seriously. I don't know how things work in FL but in California:

1) Report the accident to insurance
2) Appraiser comes to you or you setup for a drive in inspection.
3) Appraiser/Shop sends estimate to insurance
4) You choose to have the Insurance cover all costs and repair the bumper or write you a check.

You choose check and put it towards aftermarket bumper and paint.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts