BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok ok, i know this is crazy, but i need your input.

Today, i got challenged by a Z06 in a twisties race. As i pulled into the gym, i saw another guy pull in his black Z06. i didnt think much of it. Later, i asked him for a spot and then we started talking cars. Really cool guy with a lot of experience in road racing. Anyways, after chatting, i simply asked "So, does it handle as well as i hear?" and he says "want to find out?":yikes: lol, i said "sure"

Anyways, this is just going to be a friendly race. He is going to start right at the point where this 2 mile road is nothing but curves. then i am just gonna see if i can keep up with him or if he will loose me. this is kinda weird, not your typical kind of race.

So, for those of you that have DRIVEN BOTH..how does the M compare to Z as far as handeling? do i have a chance, we are both good drivers.

p.s- dont get into the mode of "ya, but it is still a chevy with cheap interior" that is sooo old. i dont care about that. i am striclty asking you handleing wise.

what do you guys think?:thumbup:

p.s.s- i will try to get this on tape if i can get my buddy to tape it.

·
Registered
187 Posts
The Z06 will out handle the M.... I was just watching C&D TV today and they compared the Z06 to the GT3... I dont think he will blow you out of the water, though, as long as you are a good driver yourself. If he has a lot of experience, you are certainly going to have your work cut out for you.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
hmmm i think it should be a fairly close race. you guys both have very good handling cars.

please let us know what happens

·
mY Name Is aMiLioooooooO
2,056 Posts
FAIRLY CLOSE RACE????

TEH ZO6 will OWN YOU!!!

it has awesome suspension and a huge engine that will murder you....i dont know who thinks it would be a faily close race but the z06 runs in the 12's and with slicks 11's thats somewhere where a bmw can never go....and thats period

·
Banned
682 Posts
Z06 will tear you a new one, sorry to say. My brother's Z06 destroyed my '98 540i S/C pushing 450+HP, and I can easily walk on E46 M3's.

I had the pleasure of driving the Z06 as well, and I have to say that the handling will also ace an E46 M3. (which I have also driven)

-Dan

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Black330ci said:
FAIRLY CLOSE RACE????

TEH ZO6 will OWN YOU!!!

it has awesome suspension and a huge engine that will murder you....i dont know who thinks it would be a faily close race but the z06 runs in the 12's and with slicks 11's thats somewhere where a bmw can never go....and thats period
ummm, i wasnt talking about straight line performance.:rolleyes:

·
The OG Black Roof
2,592 Posts
The z06 will most definately win, if he is a good driver.

But my first thought after reading your post was this...

Since you are going to try to be keeping up with a car that is hard to keep up with, it might be easy for you to drive over your head (even if you are a great driver)

So just be careful, we don't want you coming back with bad news about flipping your car.

:thumbup:

-justin

·
Registered
17 Posts
Since you both are not professional drivers, I'd say, as others have said, depends on how good a driver you are and he is.

Why don't you go and do a few laps on that road, exercise, so you get accustomed to the road and can safely anticipate the curves when you actually race with him?

·
Banned
682 Posts
ilovebmw said:
OMFGGGGGGGGG i just remembered that tony(owner) told me he took a 360 modena in the freeway real bad!!
Yeah. That car beat me like a red-headed stepchild, something I'm not very used to. :lmao:

·
Registered
345 Posts
i dont know about some of you guys thinking that the vette runs in the 11's with slicks but ive seen many z06's at the track and i have yet to even see one break into the 12's in fact car and driver could only get it to go 12.7 in the 1/4 and thats a professional driver. anyways according to what ive seen the vette does have a 1.0 lateral g wile the m3 has a 0.8 so unless you are a much better driver there is a pritty good chance you are going to loose. not to mention the 72 more hp over the m3 widening the gap a little

·
Bahn Burnah
2,360 Posts
I don't know, I think he'll do well against the ZO6, There is no doubt that ZO6 is a better track car, but that advantage is negligible on public roads. The fact that the Z is faster is kind of moot too, since they won't really be going flat out. I say (provided you are skilled driver) you'll have no problems keeping up. I know I've more than kept pace with "real sport cars" in the twisties, as I'm sure mnay others here have too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey man, good luck! just remember, the Z really shines on the road course. given equal drivers, you wont win..but you never know, he might be a tool and you can take advantage of that..:)

1 - 20 of 68 Posts