BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had this setup for awhile now, probably atleast 10K miles. Today on the way home (early...I was bored) I'm on 495 south maryland and I hit a slight dip at 75mph, and the damn car feels like it's teetering in between the front right and rear left wheels...back end felt like poop! Great, 35 miles to go and I'm on the freeway....fug it, I'm going home, with any luck, I'll live to check the damn rear. I make it home no sweat, couple crappy feelings from the road having dips in it, but I make it. The damn shock on the rear right has dropped. The pressed in rubber grommet that surrounds the bolt/metal guide is all that is on the end of the shock, the bolt and metal guide are still firmly bolted to the spindle.....how's that for BS quality? Probably a minor fluke construction type problem, but for all those with the Bilstein PSS's and PSS9's, take a quick peak under your cars rear end and look at your shock bottoms. I pressed the metal guide back into place and added liberal amount of gorilla glue, but to really hold it on, I put a washer bigger around in diameter than the shock end, and I'll be calling Bilstein here in a few minutes to get me another set of shocks for the rear (no sense in replacing just one!).....FYI

·
Banned
1,504 Posts
yea happened to me too, i think its a design flaw with their 'washer' lol

i just stuck on an oversized washer and its ok now. its like a 25cent part, why didnt bilstein give us bigger washers, lol.

anyways, not a big deal but i think everyone with pss should put on oversized washers now rather then when theres a problem

i had to drive my car like 5-10 miles with the shock disconnected sitting on just the springs.. that was no fun!

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was worried at first, thought maybe I had a jacked shock tower, don't really want to detract money for a weld job when I'm working on paying off the engine!

Man Mark, been meaning to say something....your car looks like my car used too!! :pimpin:

Attachments

·
Banned
1,504 Posts
yea it does, lol. maybee now ull believe me when i say ure car was/is hot :)

:thumbup:

as for shock tower, it should be ok, those shocks will slip a little inward over time naturally anyways, i had mine to the point where ures are and then actually fell off one day and shock tower was fine. shock mounts give some good protection, of course i bet that thing is messed up now. heh

1 - 5 of 5 Posts