E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has probably been to beaten to death already, but looking for both professional opinions (Gary?) and personal experiences between the two...

I don't drive my 330Ci hard (never track it). I use it as a daily driver--mostly highway driving--rarely take hard turns/corners and don't really push it as a "performance" vehicle. ZERO/LOW road noise is most important. In addition to these factors, pricing for the GS-D3s are $168/$179 for F/R each versus the PS2s are $166/$185 F/R each, pretty much the same. So taking all of these factors into consideration, which one should I go with? All-in-all, cost and low road noise are most important to me. Since I don't push the car, I imagine the performance either would offer are probably good enough. But of course, I may not know any better...

THANK YOU in advance for all of your input...

·
Mmm, Pancakes.
1,045 Posts
I was in the exact same position as you 2 weeks ago... I did the research and was still torn, so I called Gary knowing that he is part of the Tirerack test team.
As per their ratings, the GS-D3 is slightly more civil and a better choice for the mild drivers like you and I. He agreed that the GS-D3 fits my driving style better, and reccomended those.
You certainly can't go wrong with either. But if you're emphasis is on quiet and comfortable, the GS-D3 has a slight advantage over the PS2.
Just make sure your alignment and tire pressures are perfect so you don't get much in the way of irregular wear, and they will stay quiet :)
I went GS-D3. It took about 500 miles to break them in (maybe more, I'm at 500 right now), but they are some sweet tires. Silet and smooth! :)

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
if ride comfort and minimal noise level is most important to you, and you rarely if ever push your car hard, then neither of those tires would be ideal for you. both those tires are performance orientated, meaning they will suffer in ride and noise compared with lesser performance orientated tires. from what you are telling us, i'd recommend some grand touring summer or all season tires in stead of the ones you've mentioned. grand touring tires have more than adequate performance for the casual sporty driver, plus you get the benefit of a smoother and quieter ride, which from what i understand, is what you value the most.

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
InSuboRdiNaTioN said:
I was in the exact same position as you 2 weeks ago... I did the research and was still torn, so I called Gary knowing that he is part of the Tirerack test team.
As per their ratings, the GS-D3 is slightly more civil and a better choice for the mild drivers like you and I. He agreed that the GS-D3 fits my driving style better, and reccomended those.
You certainly can't go wrong with either. But if you're emphasis is on quiet and comfortable, the GS-D3 has a slight advantage over the PS2.
Just make sure your alignment and tire pressures are perfect so you don't get much in the way of irregular wear, and they will stay quiet :)
I went GS-D3. It took about 500 miles to break them in (maybe more, I'm at 500 right now), but they are some sweet tires. Silet and smooth! :)
Agree with this comparison. Good memory!

Also if you're after even more ride comfort, and willing to give up some handling to get it, many have been please with the Dunlop 9000 or Conti Contact 2 .

http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BN4&url=/tires/index.jsp

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone. Low road noise, long tread life (as long as can be expected from low profile tires) and budget are definitely at the top of my list. Given that you are recommending all season tires, any others that you can suggest? What about these Michelin Pilot Sport All Seasons? Anyone had experience with these?

What about the Pirelli PZero Neros?...

Thanks again.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
chump413 said:
Thanks everyone. Low road noise, long tread life (as long as can be expected from low profile tires) and budget are definitely at the top of my list. Given that you are recommending all season tires, any others that you can suggest? What about these Michelin Pilot Sport All Seasons? Anyone had experience with these?

What about the Pirelli PZero Neros?...

Thanks again.

the pirelli pzero neros will probably serve your purpose well. just make sure you get the M&S version, which is the all-season version, and not the summer tire version.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts