BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On Wednesday morning I went to a Good Year store with my set of Blizzak winter tires to slap them on my stock 68M 17" rims for the winter... They did it and charged $110 for the job. It was pouring rain so I jumped in the car and took off.

Later on I happened to look at the wheels to check a fitment of a new tires... :banghead: Three brand new rims out of four had multiple alloy chip offs (I saw a Good Year worker prying rubber off the rim with a crobar), plus DEEP circular scratches on two rims; alloy taken off down to aluminum (that happened when they were prying the tire off the rim using that circular machine). I took pictures and will talk to a store manager to reimburse the $1600 for the rims or othervise I will go to a small claims court

WATCH THEM OUT WHEN THEY SWAP YOUR TIRES, claim the damages on the spot!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
29 Posts
The same thing happened to my wheels at a local shop when I had new tires mounted.

If the wheels can be refinished, you may have a hard time convincing the shop to replace the wheels. In some cases, chips in the metal can be filled in or ground down. Get an estimate to have the wheels refinished/repaired to factory-new condition and ask the store manager to pay.

Wheel and tire shops typically have contacts at the local wheel refinishers...but make sure you have the work done at a refinisher that does quality work, not just some dude who spray-paints wheels while they're still on the car.

Look for a refinishing shop that offers a lifetime guarantee on their work, uses quality materials, and bakes the finish onto the wheels.

In the future, look for recommended tire installers in your area using the Tire Rack's installer database.

Good luck!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
G. P. Burdell,

THANKS!!!

Kuk.

·
St. Louis BMW Fanatic
7,162 Posts
I had a brand new set of ACS TypeIII's ruined by a tire shop before then ever made it on my car. I know your pain.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Dealing with Good Year on damaged rims

G. P. Burdell said:
No problem. PM me if you have any questions. Be polite when dealing with the tire shop manager - don't walk into the store in a rage.
You were absolutely right; they did not replace the rims. After a
bit of b*tching and arguing with the store manager they sent 2
rims to refurbish to a brand new condition. It cost them $500.
The other 2 rims had one scuff each on the outer edge; they
refused to fix that even though it was them who scratched it.
I found that dragging the whole thing through a small claim's
court would have cost me $500 in layer's fees + 2 lost days at
work; so I went the easy way... :dunno: Well, the rims are back
to new, and I will never go to any Good Year store in my life.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
hey Kuk sorry to hear from your bad experience with GoodYear but I had a somewhat pleasant one with them in the past.
After having a flat, they replaced my tire after overcharging me about $50, but other than that, their service is quick and did an excellent job on mine. btw, I have 18's M5 replicas and they guaranteed me that I wouldn't see a scratch or they'll replace the wheel.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jk330i said:
hey Kuk sorry to hear from your bad experience with GoodYear but I had a somewhat pleasant one with them in the past.
After having a flat, they replaced my tire after overcharging me about $50, but other than that, their service is quick and did an excellent job on mine. btw, I have 18's M5 replicas and they guaranteed me that I wouldn't see a scratch or they'll replace the wheel.
you live, you learn :eeps:

Sure enough, next time I will ASK for the guarantees. Some things
should not just be assumed, and need to be spoken out...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Kuk,

Glad to hear that things went well for you. The tire shop that damaged my wheels offered to pay a little more than half of the refinishing cost. I could have taken them to court for the entire cost, but like you, I didn't want to miss work. So I took the deal.

Ask around and find a local tire shop that won't mark up your wheels. I found one, and they will receive my business from now on.

·
Registered
121 Posts
This just happened to me at Firestone. They scratched my Type 44 wheels DEEP when the new tech used the wrong demounting machine. THey tried to give me refurbished wheels that looked like crap. I wrote a letter to the parents company threatening a lawsuit and complaint the better biz burea, and 2 new wheels instantly arrived at this dealer. Write a letter, go up the ladder.....the store manager will give you as little as he has to..........

good luck

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
re: damaged rims

Bill97Z said:
... I wrote a letter to the parents company threatening a lawsuit and complaint the better biz burea, and 2 new wheels instantly arrived at this dealer. Write a letter, go up the ladder.....the store manager will give you as little as he has to..........

good luck
Good advise! :thumbup: :thumbup:

that would have been the best thing to do; unfortunately the
Good Year already had the wheels fixed at their cost, and it
looks very decent. However, your suggestion would be the
best for obtaining a brand new replacement.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts