E46 Fanatics Forum banner

GOOD NEWS!! (Jeremy Clarkson Voice)

2K views 30 replies 13 participants last post by  BullCityBimmer 
#1 ·
https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-re...wenty-year-rolling-emissions-inspections.aspx

Bout a month ago, NC unexpectedly rolled out some new emission related laws. Depending on the county, cars over 20 years old will no longer be required to pass emissions during inspection. This is exceptionally gooooood news for me since my car was built in December of 98.

Now, I no longer have to worry about my cats going bad and now have the option of LEGALLY sporting a pair of catless headers:str8pimpi

Ebay here I come!

BULL

#3 ·
The press release said:
Beginning Dec. 1, North Carolina’s vehicle inspections requirement will exempt vehicles 20 years old from obtaining a yearly emissions test in the 22 counties which emissions testing is required.
Meck being one of those 22 counties it will apply.

Hopefully the used cats that I put in this past spring make it another 4 years for me.

#5 ·
You lucky people. I would love to get rid of my cats. You still have the two O2 sensors right? The pre normally has an erratic pattern of voltage output between 0.2v and 0.7v reflecting the constant fuel adaptations. The post has a steady 0.7v output IF the cat is working properly. When you remove the cat from between them the post output will be the same as the pre output. Erratic. Does the computer report that as an error code?

#7 · (Edited)
Yeah, if the DME doesn't see the post cat sensors it will throw a code. However, rigging up a small circuit to take 12VDC down to a nice 0.7VDC should be difficult.
That's easy enough. Just need a resistor on the signal wire big enough to produce a 11.3 volt voltage drop. That's if it starts at 12 volts of course. Any idea what the current is when fully warmed up? Or the power rating?

Now that I think of it you would also need to cater for the absense of the heater circuit too. That would throw a code too I think.

#24 · (Edited)
Even if I got rid of my OEM cats and installed headers, I'd probably still have a high-flow cat welded in further downstream. A catless exhaust stinks and stains the bumper. :thumbdwn:
Agreed catless exhaust has a very bad smell. turns your BMW jewel into smelling like a broken down jalopy. also makes car loud.

#13 ·
Granted there are other states, such as NH, that have identical emissions exemptions for 20 year old cars so it is possible that states are trending that way but who really knows.

I wonder what would happen if you became emissions exempt, went with catless headers, then the law changed back and you were now running an illegal setup. Could you claim you were grandfathered in?

#15 ·
That is a really interesting question. I think the broader issue is how politics trends over the next five years.

EPA has to bless the rule change, and they can revoke the permission. I think the bill was risky because it not only exempted 20 year or older cars but actually removed all emissions testing in 27 counties.

I do wonder how long we will actually get to drive these cars!

#16 · (Edited)
The only people excited about the rule change are enthusiasts like us who want to modify our cars without having to worry about the testing. I don't think anyone is going to refrain from modding their car because they're concerned the rule might change back at some point. I've never heard of that happening anyway. The percentage of cars that are at least 20 years old insignificant pollution-wise compared to the number of newer vehicles on the road. They're basically in the "motorcycle category," i.e. too small to bother about.

For 99.5% of the driving population with cars that age or older, it's just another yearly hassle they won't have to deal with.

#25 ·
Now, I no longer have to worry about my cats going bad and now have the option of LEGALLY sporting a pair of catless headers:str8pimpi
Ebay here I come!
not sure it would be legal still. not having to get tested isn’t same thing. new cars in CA are exempt for first 6-8 years of testing but that does not mean they can legally take off US government regulated emissions equipment.
CA also has had certain rural counties exempt for decades now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.