BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend's HK speakers in his 98 323i blew, and he's looking for reasonable alternatives - the dealer wants 150 a speaker plus another 300 to install them, and he figures he can do it himself and spend 600 or a bit more on some upgrades.

I know jack shyte about ICE. He doesn't want to have to have noticeable speakers (ie they have to fit in the same place) and he doesn't want a new head unit. He wouldn't mind some new bass, and is obviously after better quality. The closer to $600 the better. Is it even possible to upgrade in that sort of budget?

I was thinking quality front speakers, some stealthboxes, and an amp - but can a new amp run with the stock headunit, and can that new amp run both the subs and the front speakers? And what do amps cost?

Here's his email:

"Let me know what I need to do on these. The front door (both sides) mid range speakers are blown. The tweeters are fine, and as far as I can tell, the rear speakers are fine, too. I guess I would want to install some sort of speaker that can eventually replace the system. But I don't think I want to get a new power amp and a new stereo, etc. I guess it has to make $ sense. Also, could you find out how much getting just the HK speakers would cost from a non-dealer?"

Thanks.

·
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
wow good thing we have this forum...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts