E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Banned
1,684 Posts
Search on this forum. There are tons of DIY about this. This is how i learned how to do it..........

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
The Golf tee mod is possible with the 325xi and the 330i/xi exhaust. The exhaust system has a valve on the innermost pipe that is closed at lower revs and opens when tach exceeds 2000 rpm.

The golf tee mod is done by pulling the tubing off the gate above the valve and sticking a tee or bolt into the end. Ziptie to ensure tee stays in place.

This keeps the valve open all the time (a lot of city driving is below 3000 rpm) for a throatier exhaust note and great flow of exhaust.
BMWs purpose for the valve is to reduce exhaust noise as much as possible, probably for obscure vehicle regulations.

·
Banned
1,684 Posts
Who cares about those. Golf Tee Mod ftw....... It sounds much better. But of course, it is no after market exhaust

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have wondered why my 2003 330i sounded deeper in tone, after reading this thread I found for some reason my flapper stays open when stopped. I am having problems finding anyone who will keep running and bending over to find out if it closes at any given RPM. BTW could I have a vacuum leak as I can find no golf tee........

·
Registered
770 Posts
I have wondered why my 2003 330i sounded deeper in tone, after reading this thread I found for some reason my flapper stays open when stopped. I am having problems finding anyone who will keep running and bending over to find out if it closes at any given RPM. BTW could I have a vacuum leak as I can find no golf tee........
It should be closed when your car is off or idling.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
:hmm:Does all the e46 have this "golf tee"?.:hmm:
I could'nt find it in mine

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.