BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, i blew my engine a couple of weeks back. it was the 4 cylinder n40 engine. The cause is still a mystery. And now i was suggested a couple of solutions:

First, get a new head with everything on it. It's about $3000 if the part is available from the dealership.

Second, swap with another 316i with with a newer version of my engine. About the same cost only thing is, we're not sure the components from different cars will communicate.

Third and last option, swap with a 525 engine. There is this e39 with an m52 engine lying arround the shop. The engine's being sold at about $3000 as well. Problem is, mine was a 4 cylinder, I'm not sure my body will be able to accept the 6 cylinders. I mean, (correct me here) my body was designed for a 4 cylinder engine right? So the engine mounts are for 4 cylinders only? Or is it designed to accept 6 cylinder engines as well?

Please please if you have knowledge here guys help me out. I'm confused.

Thanks
Marc

·
OG Moderator Extraordinaire
6,280 Posts
I'd be more concerned about the wiring harness and electronics when doing a swap like that and motor mounts would be one of the last concerns as you can custom build them if need be

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah the s54 would be great but there's not much m3's here. i can only get parts from parting/totalled bmws. one of the top mechanics in the country said my transmission would fit perfectly. its the wiring harness that i should look into, he said. if ever, could i use the e39's wiring and computer box and put it in my car?

there's still no word from the dealership about my head. and i'm still waiting for engines to be delivered to the shop. they said about 6 e46 cars will be delivered here to be dismantled. im hoping for either an n40 engine for my head or a perfectly good running m54 so that the swap would be relatively easy.

·
Registered
550 Posts
If you go with the 6 cylinder engine, it will fit, but you will spend a fortune on other parts to make it work. parts such as the DME (must be replaced with new to align with EWS), etc. Good luck.

Other four cylinder engines should drop right in and you can reuse the DME you already have...just get the software updated to match the new engine. Also, wiring should be virtually the same.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you go with the 6 cylinder engine, it will fit, but you will spend a fortune on other parts to make it work. parts such as the DME (must be replaced with new to align with EWS), etc. Good luck.

Other four cylinder engines should drop right in and you can reuse the DME you already have...just get the software updated to match the new engine. Also, wiring should be virtually the same.
Thanks for the reply. I'd keep that in mind. I'd be pushing my limit if the bill goes to $2000. I'm balancing work and school. The timing really sucks. Only a couple more days left till the engines arrive. We are having a hard time communicating to the persons sending the engine cause they hardly speak english. Just japanese. Thats why when i asked what/which engines will arrive he said to me, "oh yes. many engines. e46." uuugh.

Anyway, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Who is performing the engine swap for your car? It would be nice to get a 6 cylinder engine but the cost and time to do it might not be worth it and it might be cheaper to buy a 323 or 325 instead. But since you already started, go ahead and finish it as planned. Threre is a place in Evangelista st in Pasay city where you could get cheap, original parts and they are always available. Go to ENKAT. the service may be bad but the price is worth the hassle. Good luck!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have two shops in mind. My car currently is at Titan Works along P Tuazon. The egine n52 engine will come from Titan as well, I'm still waiting for the engine from Ricky Chua at teacher's village. Man, that guy can send engines. He said to me to come back at the end of the month, he might have the same n40 engine for me or the n54 from a 325. Again, I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Either way, my engine is swapped. Still waiting, also, for the casa price of my cylinder head.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have two shops in mind. My car currently is at Titan Works along P Tuazon. The egine n52 engine will come from Titan as well, I'm still waiting for the engine from Ricky Chua at teacher's village. Man, that guy can send engines. He said to me to come back at the end of the month, he might have the same n40 engine for me or the n54 from a 325. Again, I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Either way, my engine is swapped. Still waiting, also, for the casa price of my cylinder head.
Does Ricky Chua have parts for e46? I used to go there when i had my 124 MB and e30. Why not have your old cylinder head rebuilt? it is cheaper than the CASA, or try getting a brand new one from ENKAT or Basic. Good luck on your project

1 - 10 of 10 Posts