E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

So some of you guys might be familair, a couple of weeks ago my car had the DSC + Handbrake light come on and on occasion the EML would come on too.

The code's were read, and it came out that for the DSC and Handbrake was due to the steering angle sensor which needed to be reset.

The EML code read that the Idle Control Valve was Jammed Open. Not so complicated a job i thought:idea:, ordered the parts from pelican and had them replaced at a reputable Indie. He changed the ICV, and some stuff i asked him like spark plugs, both the engine belts and the fuel filter. Also calibrated the steering angle sensor from the GT1 device.

Right, so i drove back and my car suddenly felt like a 330, instead of a 318. Came home had some food, went out again in an hour, and a 100 meters down the road all 3 light came on at the same time.:thumbsup:

I will go down to the shop again tomorrow and have the NEW CODES read.:bow:

Valuable Insights anyone?:4ngie:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
oh btw, while he was changing the ICV, i asked him to clean the throttle body as well. He used Quick Dry Electrical cleaner and sprayed it and let it dry 2-3 times. And no, un-like many other thread my check engine light has never come on.

Just trying to be thourough, so I can trouble shoot this biatch of a problem...:brent2:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, un-fortunatly there good at their labour, but not so qualified at trouble shooting. the only other option where i live is the dealer and its not use either.

Oh i just discovered, there was an accident on my left side with the pervious owner, and i found out that the Intake muffler (part 1) has a 1inch crack at the side, where as the Air channel (Part 11) is completly cracked. Could this be the cause of this melarchy?

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I am missing the air channel piece but never got any codes like that, but that is just me. I went ahead and bought it but have not installed it yet. Is the intake for these vehicles supposed to be sipping the air? What about those that have replaced their air box with an aftermarket cold air intake? Wouldn't these things allow more air into the system?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update

Okay, so i had the codes checked and thank god the steering angle sensor is gone. But i still get code P1500 Idle Control Valve Jammed open. Funny i just had it changed:banghead:

So i talked to their head who is some german ex-bmw master mechanic, and he said that they need to check the wiring, maybe something is disconnected, and if they cant seem to find something wrong with that, then the DME needs to be changed

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Okay, so i had the codes checked and thank god the steering angle sensor is gone. But i still get code P1500 Idle Control Valve Jammed open. Funny i just had it changed:banghead:

So i talked to their head who is some german ex-bmw master mechanic, and he said that they need to check the wiring, maybe something is disconnected, and if they cant seem to find something wrong with that, then the DME needs to be changed
I went through this on a 99 323i and changing the idle control valve did absolutely nothing. I have heard that there can be wiring issues that will cause codes with the EML. The harness must be either repaired or completely replaced.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I went through this on a 99 323i and changing the idle control valve did absolutely nothing. I have heard that there can be wiring issues that will cause codes with the EML. The harness must be either repaired or completely replaced.

okay, now were making some progress, can you specify the wiring issues, and what exactly is this wiring harness. More improtantly what happened to the poor 323's fate?

·
Registered
497 Posts
PM responded too...again, this was my issue in the PM...but do not forget the throttle adaptation

1 - 9 of 9 Posts