BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 8x10 glass plate negative of a rock outcropping in the ocean.

The idea is to create a kind of shadowbox with a light source illuminating the plate from behind.

Something like this:

Light Source ---> Opaque Glass ---> Glass Plate ---> Opaque Glass

The light source will more than likely be LED Christmas lights in a pegboard for even distribution.

This goes through a frosted pane to defuse the light.

Glass plate and final opaque pane to display image.

I've searched lightly for light box/shadow box and such, but didn't see anything. Has anyone seen such a set up before? The frame would be rather simple to construct with my neighbor's table saw, but any suggestions as to distances between the plates? Because of the cord, this would probably be displayed on a shelf.
Rate this post positively

·
.--. . -. .. ...
5,545 Posts
The distance between plates will be determined by the brightness of the lights and the opaqueness of the glass that you're using. I'm assuming you're talking about frosted glass to get diffuse light coming through the negative, right? Just get a few thin strips of wood/plastic/whatever and lay them on either side of the lights, then you can play with the distances between plates until you get it right. The frame should be simple enough, just cut channels to allow the plates to slide in and cap the top/bottom.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Frosted up a dollar store 8x10 and what was in the back of my mind happened: it didn't work.

For some reason (foolish hope) I thought a projected image of a negative would inverse onto a surface. I forgot that the reason for the negative is to regulate light onto a chemical solution to create an image.

So, unless there is a way to inverse the coloring of a negative by optic means alone, I think I'm SOL.

·
.--. . -. .. ...
5,545 Posts
I have a vague memory of seeing a negative print with different colored light projected on it that showed up in "true" colors. I'm sure it could be done with some gel filters or colored LEDs

1 - 4 of 4 Posts