BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Just a Brand-wh0re Elitist
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2001 330i has the worst ride ever. Every little crack in the road feels and sounds like a speed bump. The steering column jolts around when I go over a series of bumps. Mind you that my car is bone stock. The service dept told me it was normal and that some rough ride might be caused by my 17in stock rims. BULLS</>HIT.

I have taken the car back several times now but all they do is shrug their shoulders and basically tell me that they can't reproduce it (ie that I am whack)

Other than buying a new car, what can I do for a smoother ride? Change shocks? springs? Get smaller rims?

·
Registered
645 Posts
Actually it's not BS that they're telling you, 17 inch rims will be significantly more rougher because of the thinner sidewall compared to a 16 inch rim. Since you have a 330 moving to a 16in rim won't work since your breaks will get in the way. Check your air pressure, maybe drop it a few psi. Other than that i don't know what else you could do to soften up a ride as usually most people want to lower/stiffen it.

·
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Banana_Bread said:
Actually it's not BS that they're telling you, 17 inch rims will be significantly more rougher because of the thinner sidewall compared to a 16 inch rim. Since you have a 330 moving to a 16in rim won't work since your breaks will get in the way. Check your air pressure, maybe drop it a few psi. Other than that i don't know what else you could do to soften up a ride as usually most people want to lower/stiffen it.
thanks! It just sounds and feels unusual. I mean when going over a small bump on the road, a loud thud reverberates thru the cabin. I would have expected this if I had changed the springs and gotten like 19in rims or something.

·
E46Fanatic
3,128 Posts
10chi said:

thanks! It just sounds and feels unusual. I mean when going over a small bump on the road, a loud thud reverberates thru the cabin. I would have expected this if I had changed the springs and gotten like 19in rims or something.
i think it's the price we have to pay for a great handling car. i have mine dropped for about a year now and don't mind it, but i'm usually on pretty smooth roads. i'd probably get annoyed with it if the roads were bad.

·
ASA NO MO
2,228 Posts
Before I upgraded to 19's I didnt feel a thing. The ride was smooth and quite.

Now that I have 19's I can feel the smallest imperfections in the road. Maybe your suspension is shot, poke you head under the car and see if anything is broken/loose.

Good Luck

·
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
crispvx said:
Before I upgraded to 19's I didnt feel a thing. The ride was smooth and quite.

Now that I have 19's I can feel the smallest imperfections in the road. Maybe your suspension is shot, poke you head under the car and see if anything is broken/loose.

Good Luck
thanks, I will do that. Anything in particular I should look out for?

·
Senior Eurowerkz Member
13,151 Posts
i know what you can do

i had a old vette with 16" wheels and at that time i thought i felt it. i guess for the times in the 80'ies. you can put in your car
koni or bilteen gas shocks that will softing your ride.and get a
softer spring so it won't be so harsh of a ride. you will give up
a bit of handerling if you don't mine that.

but i know softer springs will give you a better ride. think of it as
doing the reverse of for handerling and a stiffer ride.

and the shocks will play a part of the ride not sure which one you should do or if you need to do both.

you should talk to pete from wheelexpert about this or gary they are in the bussiness. but look into softer springs and gas shocks
i think that is the way to go for a softer ride. sorry you have to give up a little handerling.
bobm3 ;) ;)

·
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
by the way, I am not looking for a ride that is as smooth as say the 745 or an S class. Something just doesn't seem to jive. It just seems to be really rough. I understand that my car will have a bit of sensitivity to the imperfections on the roads, but sometimes I get the feeling that it beyond normal.

·
Invalid User
10,869 Posts
My friends ride in my car and they think I've changed the suspension because the ride is kinda rough for stock. I was kinda suprised by how the stock ride is, I thought it would be alot smoother.

·
Senior Eurowerkz Member
13,151 Posts
in that case did you check

OnMDMA said:
My friends ride in my car and they think I've changed the suspension because the ride is kinda rough for stock. I was kinda suprised by how the stock ride is, I thought it would be alot smoother.
on your springs and shocks maybe sometime is not right on them.
could it be that maybe you wore them down did you carry a large load in your car at one time. that can cause your shocks or springs to act up like how you are saying. if you can't find out what it is at your dealer try another one . and if you don't get sasifaction with them take your car to a perf. shop to check your ride. they could tell how your car is suppose to be stock from the dealer. i think it would be good for you to get a outside opion on your car suspection or confort of your car ride. they will only charge you a flat fee to test drive your car and to check it out. ask
around on the board of a good shop in your area to check it out for you.
bobm3 :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Senior Eurowerkz Member
13,151 Posts
Re: in that case did you check

bobm3 said:

on your springs and shocks maybe sometime is not right on them.
could it be that maybe you wore them down did you carry a large load in your car at one time. that can cause your shocks or springs to act up like how you are saying. if you can't find out what it is at your dealer try another one . and if you don't get sasifaction with them take your car to a perf. shop to check your ride. they could tell how your car is suppose to be stock from the dealer. i think it would be good for you to get a outside opion on your car suspection or confort of your car ride. they will only charge you a flat fee to test drive your car and to check it out. ask
around on the board of a good shop in your area to check it out for you.
bobm3 :thumbup: :thumbup:
HOPE YOU DON'T MIND ME TELLING YOU TO DO WHAT I AM TELLING YOU DO TO
i would be following the steps that i told you to do myself.

·
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
On another note, I just got a call from a dealer about a 2003 M3 SMG with 11k miles. they are asking $45k OBO. Maybe even less cuz they told me that if I am not interested its going to auction.

Do u think I should just go for it and use the M3 as a daily?

·
Registered
134 Posts
That's not going to be any smoother...

·
TheOnlyConstantIsChange
4,336 Posts
If you think the 330 rides rough (which it doesn't) yuo'll hate the M3.

·
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
raddray said:
That's not going to be any smoother...
Yeah, I know, but at least the M3 will be tighter right? And at least the M3 will have a reason to ride rough.

·
Registered
665 Posts
My 04 330ci with sport package does not ride rough. Yes, you can feel the bumps but it is not excessive. I actually was impressed with how smooth the ride is given how great the handling is. Perhaps it is all perception and expectations.

I would recommend you drive another similar car for comparison to see if you car is significantly different.

·
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
04ragtop said:
My 04 330ci with sport package does not ride rough. Yes, you can feel the bumps but it is not excessive. I actually was impressed with how smooth the ride is given how great the handling is. Perhaps it is all perception and expectations.

I would recommend you drive another similar car for comparison to see if you car is significantly different.
i drove a 2003 325 loaner and it rode much much much smoother than my car.

·
Crazy Boy
1,368 Posts
10chi said:

Yeah, I know, but at least the M3 will be tighter right? And at least the M3 will have a reason to ride rough.
i have heard that the dinan suspension actually handles better AND is softer than the stock suspension...

1 - 20 of 82 Posts