BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it me, or do I remember hearing that it is not good to get tints when it is cold out because the film has a harder time to cure? I was going to get a 35% all around this weekend but its going to be in the 20s for highs and 0 for lows:yikes: Cold wheres spring time!!

·
Registered
67 Posts
I just tinted the windows on my car this past Friday... highs in the 20's here. I took it home and parked it in the garage over the weekend though, it doesn't get much below 45-50* in there. Nearly a week later and I still haven't rolled the windows down.

·
You can have your E9X
214 Posts
Hey guys! Being the resident window tint shop owner on this board,let me tell you a few things...
Temperature does have a lot to do with the drying time of window film.
Window films can vary GREATLY,GREATLY, in their drying or 'curing' times.Standard dyed films normally dry quickest,then dye/metal hybrids,and an all metal films takes considerably longer.
I am in Tennesse ,and I normally tint every day of the year.However,we don't have the type of climate where it stays below freezing on an extended basis.If you are further up north and your vehicle will be outside in subfreezing temps,keep in mind that the excess water that is used to apply your film will still be on the glass(between the film and glass). Keep in mind that that water can freeze/crystallize,and sometimes will leave those marks behind.In my 7+ years of being in business,I haven't had to replace any film because of this,but watch out if you aren't able to keep your car inside.
Dye/metal tints can take up to 30 days (if not more,depending on where you are)to fully cure.
Films that are all metal/no dyes(platinum,chrome,quantum) can take 60 -90 days to fully cure!!!!Yes,it will dry out over time,but ask your installer!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts