BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On rims...... I was just wondering what you guys do to get that mirror finish on the lip of your rims back. Would it be ok to use a metal polish product or is that too harsh? I use metal polish on my exhaust tips and it turns out great everytime. My rims arent messed up by any means nor have they lost the gleam yet but I have talked to a lot of people where they have.

Thanks

AdamR

·
Senior Eurowerkz Member
13,151 Posts
try these out

if you don't have a clear coat try wheel wax and if you do have
a clear coat use the polish you use to wax your car.
bobm3 :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
339 Posts
I would bet money (about 99.99999 %) your rims have clear on the outer lip.. just use wax!!! Metal polish is too rough!!!

·
Banned
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But how would you get the haze off? My friend has some HRES (647s) with a polished lip and he has some "haze" on them from the elements. What should he do ? I just want to be prepared!!

AdamR

·
Registered
339 Posts
they have "hazed....." tell him to get some 3M products. They make great hand glazes just for this situation. I have one that is no longer used but it takes out scratch in the paint like it nothing... I looked the 3M website to see what they have out and I would suggest using: 3M Perfect-It II Finishing glaze. He should find a place that specializes in 3M products and ask them what is the best. My fathers friends in NY owns a 3M store so we always buy their products. They work wonders.

·
Banned
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So that will restore them to their shiny sparkly finish again :) How much would something like that cost?

Sounds like I need to get some of that stuff to have just in case.

timexp99 said:
they have "hazed....." tell him to get some 3M products. They make great hand glazes just for this situation. I have one that is no longer used but it takes out scratch in the paint like it nothing... I looked the 3M website to see what they have out and I would suggest using: 3M Perfect-It II Finishing glaze. He should find a place that specializes in 3M products and ask them what is the best. My fathers friends in NY owns a 3M store so we always buy their products. They work wonders.

·
Registered
339 Posts
AdamR-

Yes, that stuff is amazing! I use (the older version, its call Finesse It) all the time to take out scratchs, stains in the paint, road materials that cake on, any, etc.. Its a wonder what it will do.... they are different grits of material, depending on the need. You can use it by hand and then wax the area and it will look amazing. My father uses it when he buffs the cars but I wouldn't not suggest getting into the buffer stage unless you have lots of practice (my father restores cars as a hobby).

If i remember correct, a large bottle (which will last you a life time) is around $25 bucks or so... find a store that sells a variety of 3M (which are the best on the market) and you will find all your dreams come true. they have more products that do more things than you can imagine! If you can find Finesse It, I know that product is perfect for that application.. Make sure that you wax after you use it. Its safe to use on a clear coat (has long as you get the fine grit). The more coarse of a grit you buy, the more it will cut into the clear coat. Hope this helps.. I need to buy some more when I go to NY for the holidays, so else I would give you some now to try out.

·
Banned
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
WOW! Sounds great! ANd you are sure this works on the polished part of my wheels?

THanks

AdamR

timexp99 said:
AdamR-

Yes, that stuff is amazing! I use (the older version, its call Finesse It) all the time to take out scratchs, stains in the paint, road materials that cake on, any, etc.. Its a wonder what it will do.... they are different grits of material, depending on the need. You can use it by hand and then wax the area and it will look amazing. My father uses it when he buffs the cars but I wouldn't not suggest getting into the buffer stage unless you have lots of practice (my father restores cars as a hobby).

If i remember correct, a large bottle (which will last you a life time) is around $25 bucks or so... find a store that sells a variety of 3M (which are the best on the market) and you will find all your dreams come true. they have more products that do more things than you can imagine! If you can find Finesse It, I know that product is perfect for that application.. Make sure that you wax after you use it. Its safe to use on a clear coat (has long as you get the fine grit). The more coarse of a grit you buy, the more it will cut into the clear coat. Hope this helps.. I need to buy some more when I go to NY for the holidays, so else I would give you some now to try out.

·
Banned
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
FYI : I talked to Eric at supreme power parts who is an AWESOME guy and he told me to use mothers or any other polish if the wheels get that hazy color. I trust him because I know he has some experience with some very expensive wheels and he says on his S4 he polishes them everytime.... just what I wanted to hear :thumbup:

·
Registered
339 Posts
AdamR-

I use mothers wax on my rims (BBS RS-GT) and it does a nice job. The stuff I suggested would be necessary if your rims had a "thick" haze on them. If the wax doesn't bring back there new shine, then use a 3M product.

btw.. When you did your folding mirrors retrofit, why didn't you just switch out the motors? I was thinking about doing this but wanted to ask the question.. thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Yup, Mothers Wax is the bombdiggidy. I remember when I first got my HREs I accidently washed the lip with P21 wheel cleaner and it left some nasty stains. A coat of Mothers Polish cleared everything right up and I've been using it on my rims ever since.

·
Banned
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cool, sounds good. Any reccomendations where I can get the mothers stuff online?

timeexp : thanks man for all the info. As far as the retrofit goes, it is NOT really that possible to rip the motors out of there and you cant get the motors alone anyways so its kind of useless.

AdamR

1 - 18 of 18 Posts