BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all after browsing around this site for a couple months I finally decided to make the jump and join. I own a 2003 steptronic 325i and I was wondering which mods would it take to get me down to 6ish 0-60. I considered everything from stroking, headers, diff swap, tranny swap, shark injector, dinan systems etc. and I was wondering what would get me into that performance range short of supercharging? Lowest cost solutions would be appreciated.Thanks in advance :D

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
all of those mods? just to take off .5-.7 second off my 0-60? :confused: I heard somewhere that with the dinan tranny software, thanks to the increased rpm limit (300 i think?) you could hit 60 in 2nd gear therefore reducing your time by .4 sec or so? could anyone confirm?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cams and a tune? but wouldnt that run me in the range of $1200 ish for cams and 400 for tune? $1600 for .5 second? :bawling:
I thought that with the dinan auto tranny software you could shift later thanks to 300 rpm limit increase and drop that 0-60?

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
how do you figure that.. a 325 is rated at about 7sec for 0-60..

no way headers, higher diff and SW is gonna bring him down a second..

put hey, everyone is allowed there own opinion...
To be honest, I think a higher revlimit and a diff will do it. I wish I could run my cartest program on my windows vista computer. It would allow me to test that theory.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
the money spent to do this$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

is not worth the power gains. :thumbdwn:

I added power programmer, intake, and exhaust. and all I ever noticed was better throttle response... :tsk:

your better off going for zhp/m3 (or engine swap)

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
dont the 325 steps do 0-60 in 7.5-.8?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Hate to say it but this is getting reminiscent of high school days... "let's see my car makes 180hp, I have exhaust so that's 15, intake is 10, chip is probably 15 and the stickers are 5 so I make 225hp"

The reason why someone suggested going to a ZHP was that it's the most cost effective and beneficial solution here. You can make any car fast depending on how deep your pockets are - in my opinion dropping this much money into an auto 325 is just not realistic. Wish I had a better answer for you but the truth is, enjoy your car for what it is and when you want something making those times sell it off and enjoy stepping up to a ZHP or something similar.

·
Registered
18,806 Posts
+1 on the zhp.... or even a 330 manual at that

trying to get an auto 325 at a low 6 sec 0-60 is like trying to make a 330 as fast as an m3... cool thing to do? ya..... however its going to cost more than selling your car and buying another one

should have thought about how important a 0-60 time was before you bought the car... :dunno:

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
+1 on the zhp.... or even a 330 manual at that

trying to get an auto 325 at a low 6 sec 0-60 is like trying to make a 330 as fast as an m3... cool thing to do? ya..... however its going to cost more than selling your car and buying another one

should have thought about how important a 0-60 time was before you bought the car... :dunno:
performance wasnt really a huge factor..if it was I wouldve gone for the 350z I saw in the same price range. I was looking for a 4 door bmw to be specific, and when I went to the dealers all the manual 330ci they had were scratched/dinged, worn tires, worn clutch, and some were overdue for a cooling system overhaul..then I found this 325i in nearly mint condition from a private party and it threw out any other thoughts of .5 second faster acceleration :banghead:

so I was considering, that since the m54b25 and m54b30 are similar except for some internals, would it be possible to get some 330i internals and drop them in and achieve 330 power? 330i crank, pistons, con rods etc? I heard that the only difference between the two is the stroke and that the bore is the same?

·
Registered
631 Posts
so I was considering, that since the m54b25 and m54b30 are similar except for some internals, would it be possible to get some 330i internals and drop them in and achieve 330 power? 330i crank, pistons, con rods etc? I heard that the only difference between the two is the stroke and that the bore is the same?
I have heard the same thing and was curious. I have not done enough research. I imagine there maybe some timing issues but I am not entirely sure. I wonder if anyone has any really accurate and reliable information about this?

·
Registered
461 Posts
on my 330 i did headers CAI Diff and replaced the vanos seals..
I'm in the low 6's now.

If did cams and software i might break into the high 5's, and a 330 has 50hp more off the bat.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts