E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
General suspension question that everyone should have some kind of thoughts/say on ...

I see most ppl on here talking about coil overs/they have or want to buy coil overs etc.

I dunno, maybe it's just me, but I want a nice well performing car, sporty exterior, luxurious interior, with a really nice ride (I know I don't ask much right) but I mean, BMWs are "luxury/prestige" cars, why would you want to put coil overs on it, destroying the nice ride of the car when it comes to bumps etc etc???

When I did my shocks and I was inquiring I specifically said to my aftermarket supplier, I want shocks that are an increase in performance, but wont cause a decrease in ride quality, which is why I bought the Bilstein B6 shocks. Sporty shock, with close to OEM ride quality.

I dunno ... thoughts? I just want to know other peoples thoughts and justifications on what they buy/put on their car ...

·
Registered
26 Posts
BMWs arent luxury cars, E46s aint all that to be perfectly honest.

As for coilovers you can get coilovers that are comfortable (ie eibachs). They dont have to be harsh and bumpy.

·
Registered
607 Posts
good coilovers have the ability to adjust dampening. For the most part, comfort and performance are mutually exclusive. If you want to feel like you're riding on a cloud or sitting in a bucket of marshmallows, you need soft dampers; soft dampers=weak performance. The same goes vice versa. It's all about how much of either are you willing to sacrifice. BMW could've made the e46 handle better, but it would come at the expense of comfort. Wherever you want to draw the line is all up to you. Some people like it hard. Some like it soft. Whatever floats your boat.

Also, if you haven't already, look into FSD technology. Koni uses it on one of their dampers and I've heard nothing but good things about it. I would have gone that route if I didn't pick up OEM suspension parts at such a good price.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
After months of research I went with EPK and Koni FSD (I should have listened to the suspension shop owner in the first place) and it's better than I could have hoped for. Handling coupled with much better ride and lowerd to perfection for a daily driver. Racetrack, or billiard smooth roads I'd look elsewhere, maybe. :thumbup:

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BMWs arent luxury cars, E46s aint all that to be perfectly honest.

As for coilovers you can get coilovers that are comfortable (ie eibachs). They dont have to be harsh and bumpy.
I dunno about where you live, but over here, Bimmers are pretty top notch, my car is better or at least equal to Brand spankin new Holden Commodores over here and my car is 13 years old!

good coilovers have the ability to adjust dampening. For the most part, comfort and performance are mutually exclusive. If you want to feel like you're riding on a cloud or sitting in a bucket of marshmallows, you need soft dampers; soft dampers=weak performance. The same goes vice versa. It's all about how much of either are you willing to sacrifice. BMW could've made the e46 handle better, but it would come at the expense of comfort. Wherever you want to draw the line is all up to you. Some people like it hard. Some like it soft. Whatever floats your boat.

Also, if you haven't already, look into FSD technology. Koni uses it on one of their dampers and I've heard nothing but good things about it. I would have gone that route if I didn't pick up OEM suspension parts at such a good price.
I know Shockies are probably the most critical component in the handling of your vehicle, but I have upgraded the shocks, the Front Control Arms, the Brakes, I am going to do the Front and Rear Sways with H&R Sways and Polyurethane bushings, and put a Front Strut Brace on too ... surely those components would make up for if not surpass any extra gain coilovers would give me?

Round here the roads are FULL of potholes, and the roads that aren't, are pretty crap anyway, so not only do I want more "luxurious" shocks for that, but also for the fact, I want the drive to have a sporty feel, the exterior to have a sporty feel but the interior to have a luxurious feel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts