BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to decide between these two. Can get genwrals for $540 (with rebate). Indy 500s are $688. I've run the indy before and they were great. Until the tread wore down a bit then they didn't do too well in the rain.

From what I can tell the generals are supposed to be similar in dry grip but better in the rain. They have a softer sidewall so the responsiveness is less but comfort better. They also have a rim protector so might be good for me since I parallel park on city streets.

Does anybody have any real works experience with the generals? Would be great if someone has tried them both. I would really appreciate that feedback.

PS. I do track a bit but it's mostly city streets and street corner carving

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
1,499 Posts
For me there's Michelins and then there's everything else. Albeit Continental has come a very long way in the last few years and winning favor with me.

Back to your question; Asking advice here is a good start, albeit you didn't mention what size and/or specific model General tire.

Tire Rack (the 800lb. gorilla in the room when it comes to tires) has a large amount of data, testing and reviews available on their website.

If you're willing to spend about an hour, punch in your exact size, select your two brands on the left and dive into the specs, UTQG ratings, tests and user reviews.
There is a tremendous amount of information to be had there.
Often testing videos can be found about tire performance in slalom, wet, dry & road handling.
I've driven their track and the testing is real.

Back to my opening statement and one you elude to; Besides quality & longevity of the top tier tires my biggest gripe with cheaper tires is the lack of wet grip once the tire approaches ~50% of life.

Michelins & Continental stay consistent throughout their life (yes tread depth plays a role) but many of the "Other" tires become something like a cheap Kuhmo after the tire gets about 50% thread depth, even in the dry.

·
Registered
7,493 Posts
neither , conti extreme contact sport

or mich pss if you wana spend $50 more a tire

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I was trying to make the same decision last spring when I needed a new set of summers. I ended up going with the Generals and I'm happy with them, although I haven't tried the Firestones before. Price was one of the factors that made my decision (there was a rebate active) as well as the wear rating, the Generals should last a bit longer. No noticeable tire roar at any speed and I haven't come anywhere near their limit on grip in the dry or wet despite my best efforts (no tracking though). Definitely a solid tire for the price.

One consideration is that the Generals have directional tread which limits your ability to rotate, especially if you're on a staggered setup. I think the Firestones might be in the same boat but you should check if rotating tires matters to you.

·
Registered
7,493 Posts
front to back every 5k is good enough

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I understand the Michelin PSS tires are much better. However, these tires will be going on my 350Z. 255/40/18 front and 275/40/18 rear on rotary forged wheels. So the Michelins are over $1000. This car also has much higher limits than the e46 so tire choice makes a bigger difference.

I know a lot of you have tried the generals so I wanted to get your feedback. I think I may just go with them as the softer sidewall will be a better ride and that curb protection on the tire will save me from nicking them. In the other hand, this Z car has ZERO electronic safety nets (no stability control, no traction control, no yaw sensors, nada, zinch, just me and the machine) so I need a super predictable tire.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
The general tire is what's called a B market tire. It has nothing to do with it's quality, as all it means is that it's not sold to vehicle manufacturers. General is manufactured by Continental in Europe and I run the GMAX RS in the summer too. It's a very good tire, that's just as sticky as Conti ECS+ and Michelin PS4S. Michelins are dreadfully over priced and imho not a very good tire to work with as a tire installer, they like to glue themselves to the rim and it's ****ing annoying to get them off the wheel. In short, Michelins are way too overpriced for what little advantage they give you.

If you really don't want to save money I would get Continental's but the best bang for buck tire out there right now is the General GMAX RS, bar none. Firestone's aren't as good of quality, and let's not even drag good year into this.

If this thing is more of a track toy/driven only in the dry you might want to look at Nitto NT01.

·
Premium Member
2016 340i & 2002 325Ci
3,277 Posts
I have General GMAX RS on my car. Before that had Conti DW's. The GMAX RS has gotten better as it's worn in, but still not as good feel overall as the DW. Gets the job done I guess.

·
Registered
13,561 Posts
I understand the Michelin PSS tires are much better. However, these tires will be going on my 350Z. 255/40/18 front and 275/40/18 rear on rotary forged wheels. So the Michelins are over $1000. This car also has much higher limits than the e46 so tire choice makes a bigger difference.

I know a lot of you have tried the generals so I wanted to get your feedback. I think I may just go with them as the softer sidewall will be a better ride and that curb protection on the tire will save me from nicking them. In the other hand, this Z car has ZERO electronic safety nets (no stability control, no traction control, no yaw sensors, nada, zinch, just me and the machine) so I need a super predictable tire.

It's only got more power than the E46. Limits in terms of grip and handling are similar. Also, don't all 350z have at least TCS?

Is this a summer only car for you in Chicago?

And if you're that particular about your tire choice, then the PS4S is the way to go. I just bought a set for my E82 to replace the worn out PSS. They're wonderful. It'll far outperform the 500 and General in all categories. If you're sweating a few hundred dollars for tires, are you really going to the track ever?

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Summer only tire in Chicago yes. I do want to hit the track at least a couple times this summer. I will also attend some of the autoX events.

In terms of 350Z vs E46: I'm sorry, I have owned both, the Z is a far better performer in every aspect. It's handling is far greater. It has a much more advanced suspension, it has a far lower center of gravity, and it is lighter. It is also much stiffer all around. My e46 was no joke either. It had a custom adjustable suspension all around and still would be no match for this Z.

I will check out the PS4S. How is the treadwear on those? Honestly inonly really got two summers out of the indy that were on the e46. And it's not like I was doing burnouts but I did have a helical diff.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I have General GMAX RS on my car. Before that had Conti DW's. The GMAX RS has gotten better as it's worn in, but still not as good feel overall as the DW. Gets the job done I guess.
I am interested in more details. I have the Conti ExtremeContact DW, but I just blew one front tire and looking for a used replacement is proving difficult. I am considering running the General RS in the front with the Conti DW in the rear. You said they aren't as good as the Conti? This is for a summer convertible cruiser, not very performance oriented.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I ended up going with my old favorite the Firestone Indy 500. They ride nice (for a summer tire), they are quiet, they have tons of grip, a 340 treadwear, and they half the price of the Michelins and 50% less than the Continentals. Buy them straight from a firestone tire shop and you will get the cheapest.

The Continentals might have 3% more grip at the limit. If you aren't going anywhere near 10/10ths of the performance of the car then you should get a whole set of the firestones. You should run the same tire front and rear. Mismatched tires lead to accidents. The whole set of Firestones will be similar in price to just one axle of the Contis.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts