BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on tire rack looking for 2 new front tires for my 330ci. According to their survey results, the #4 tire in the category is the General Exclaim UHP for $90 each (seems too cheap). The #1 tire was the Yokohama S.Drive for $138/ea.

Any experiences with either of the two? I'm assuming that spending the extra 48 per tire would be worth the Yokohama?

Suggestions?

Thanks

·
Registered
130 Posts
I just picked up some wheels with these tires on them. About 70% left on the tires. 225/40/18

I've had them for about 2 weeks now and driven them in a bunch of conditions. So far I love them. I went from 205/55/16 so these are a lot stiffer. I find they are little noisy at city speeds (40-70km/h) but on the highway they are nice and quiet.

If they are around when i need to replace them I will buy the same ones. They seem like a good bang for the buck.

Hope that helps!
Brian

·
Registered
940 Posts
This is just my opinion and don't know much about tires. I think the general exclaim is the best tire for the money and better then some of the more expensive tires. I also am never going to track my car and i don't (usually) use my town as the Nurburgring. If your the same then these are definitely the best bang for your buck tires out there (imo).

I've got about 30% tread left in the front and 20% left in the back. I'm going to make another purchase soon.

·
yo mama
1,623 Posts
i had a set on 19's and they lasted about 20K mi. I thought they would last longer though because they have a 380 UTQG.

·
yo mama
1,623 Posts
20k isn't bad for a tire that's dirt cheap. :)
well, i guess i expected more because i have gotten 20K mi out of tires that have a lower UTQG rating in the past. However, i dont think that the UTQG rating is standardized is it? So, the treadwear for the same rating can differ between different brands of tires?

·
Registered
16,307 Posts
well, i guess i expected more because i have gotten 20K mi out of tires that have a lower UTQG rating in the past. However, i dont think that the UTQG rating is standardized is it? So, the treadwear for the same rating can differ between different brands of tires?
No it's not standard. :(

·
Registered
10,786 Posts
Tons of people can vouch for the UHP's. They are a great bang for the buck tire currently as you can see. If you are only looking to daily driving without any aggressive driving, then they are a great tire for you.

If you want to look into a better quality tire, take a look at the Kumho SPT. They are currently more affordable and offer better grip then the UHP's but are cheaper then the Yokohama's.

[email protected]

·
Registered
397 Posts
The General UHP are the best bang for your buck :thumbup:
I agree with this also. I've had mine for a few months and am really happy with them. When I first picked them up, I was blown away with how meaty they look. They look pretty serious. I don't notice excessive road noise but I also have a full TSE3:4ngie: I live 400+ miles from school and at 75mph on the highway these are very quiet. I've also found their dry AND wet traction to be very good. I even found myself suddenly stuck in a heavy snow storm and I made it home. I surely wouldn't recommend them for snow to anyone, but rwd+manual trans+265 rear width+snow=epic fail for most tires. I'd choose them again over an expensive brand for daily driver use, especially since my girlfriend's Goodyear Eagle F1's blew out a sidewall :tsk:

·
yo mama
1,623 Posts
I like mine too, but am just wondering if they wore out a bit early considering they are UTQG 380? I am unable to rotate mine becuase I haave a staggered setup.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
I have them on my car, I agree best bang for the buck, and just about any reviews (Tire Rack for example) bears that out. They are superior to the original Contis I had, and far cheaper to boot.

Continental owns General (or vice versa), so I have no problem putting them on any car.

·
Town Clown
15,089 Posts
I don't understand how/why so many people here dump so much money into their cars and then buy the cheapest tires :facepalm:

They're the only thing on your car that actually touches the road; easily the most important part of any car :slap:
Because expensive doesn't necessarily mean quality.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
And cheap doesn't necessarily mean quality either.

General Exlaim UHP is a great tire for cruising, but I wouldn't be caught dead at an autox/track event with them.
Most people don't autox/track their cars. If I did, I would probably have a dedicated set of track tires/wheels anyways.

The Exclaims are been some of my best all around tires on my E46 at least, which includes a previous set of OEM spec Contis, and Pirellis.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts