E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I upgrade my final drive from 2.93 to 3.38 am I increasing the max torque applied to the ground (by 15%) or just decreasing the time it takes (by 15%) to apply the max torque to the ground?

With a 15% change in gearing will I see a 15% decrease in 0-60 sec? Torque is directly proportional to acceleration.

·
www.my330i.com
1,875 Posts
There is an inherent problem with thinking that simply changing your final drive to shorter gears will make the car quicker. It really depends...

If you shorten it up too far, you are not going to be staying in the power band very long (which we are lucky enough to have a lot of from BMW), AND you will spend more time shifting. Since shifting can take up to .5 seconds (for slow shifters), you can easily lose that in 0-60 just by having to hit 3rd.

Also, you will run higher RPMs at a given speed, so the fuel economy drops along with dropping your top-end speed.

·
BMW Land Barge
1,359 Posts
Those of us who can't reach 60 in 2nd ANYWAY would LOVE lower gearing. The other question is whether or not you car about your 0-60 time, or the car's overall acceleration. My car is a LOT peppier with my autox wheel/tire combo on. (Effective 3.43 FD.)

·
www.my330i.com
1,875 Posts
That I agree...

I was only stating that there is a "too far"... and to measure the benefits of going to shorter and short gears...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.