BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just wondering what gas mileage you guys are getting. I'm consistently putting up numbers aroud 300 miles per tank. Which I think is very low. I should add that the 300 is what I get if I run it down to the very end. Safely I run about 285 miles per tank. I don't think this is normal.

I don't redline very often, I have step, and I do a lot of short distance driving (i.e. 5-10 miles per trip)

Now, I know the more short distance driving you do with all the stop and go is harder on gas mileage, but I still don't think that 285 miles per tank is normal.

I check my tire pressure I'm ok there. Is there anything else I shold know about.

Please guys I need help on this. :dunno: :dunno:

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
I average 17mph @ 13.5 mpg.

I do very short trips and do redline often :D I have a step as well. Short trips are the worst on a engine and gas mileage as well as the oil.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hey Mike -

I get over 400 easy on a tankful and when it's all highway I've almost hit 500 on a tank. Have you had any "tuneup" (ignition) work done or maybe it's due?

Paul

·
mod bug resistant
622 Posts
My average is 22.6 miles per gallon. That's about 375 miles per tank. It used to be 23 mpg in the summer, but I've heard that during winter times gasoline contains some alcohol additives that increase fuel consumption.

·
Registered
829 Posts
my MPG is always around 20 and 21. I get 318 miles with a full tank. I fuel up at 70 miles. To go and normally travel 250 miles since last refuel.

I think my MPH is at 38 most of the time.

·
Senior Eurowerkz Member
13,182 Posts
hi do you use your air condition

i have a smg m3 and if i don't use my air condition and drive normal i get around 18 to 20 mpg but i notice if i get on the car in the middle rpm range i saw i was geting 13 or so mpg because
i have a new car breaking in i don't jack rabbit starts but on the highway steping from 2,000 to 3,500 or 4,500 to go up and down on the mph to break in car i don't go over 5,000 rpm

i am at 950 miles know pretty soon i will go up to 5,500 rpm
bobm3 ;) ;)

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
PaulC said:
Hey Mike -

I get over 400 easy on a tankful and when it's all highway I've almost hit 500 on a tank. Have you had any "tuneup" (ignition) work done or maybe it's due?

Paul
To answer Paul, no its still bone stock.

I do notice when I drive on the highways I get better gas mileage. Maybe I just to get on open roads more often to conserve on gas.

·
needs a new sig...
4,874 Posts
i drive mostly on highways..my avg mpg on highway according to the OBC is 30.5 MPG..and when i do drive in the city it is 24 mpg

·
Registered
644 Posts
I average 27.0 miles per gallon (overall) since the day I got my car (323 5sp). I don't pay attention to how many miles per tank that is though. Seems pretty good to me :)

·
Retired
1,382 Posts
325i 5-speed manual
City and Highway driving is equal.
Summertime = 26 mpg (at least 400mi/tank)
Wintertime = 23 mpg (almost 400mi/tank)

Hard driving a few times a week.

:)

·
OG Moderator Extraordinaire
6,257 Posts
Mike,

My average since I go the car is 25.0 MPG. Granted I have a 323Ci and 5-Speed, and more highway commute to work than you... but you should be getting over 300miles per tank. I often break 400, or would if I waited til empty... in fact, on my current tank, I'm halfway full (optimist!) and I have over 250 miles on the tank! :yikes:

·
BMW Land Barge
1,378 Posts
I get 13-14 city, 24-28 highway, and around 17-18 combined. Fuel efficiency is just not all that good.

Edit: Oh yeah, my average speed is between 14 and 20MPH. (I pull the battery to reset the ECU between tanks of gas.)

·
Registered
484 Posts
Oh yeah, my average speed is between 14 and 20MPH. (I pull the battery to reset the ECU between tanks of gas.)
Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but why not just hold in the button on the turn signal level when the speed is indicated on the dash?

John

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Flimson: That sounds right. When my 330 was auto, I'd get about 11.8 mpg, now that its a manual I get about 18.8 mpg. The steptronic transmissions don't allow you to be very fuel efficient. Most of my driving is city, and very short trips :)

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
whenever i have i fill up the tank the computer tells me i have 540 km .........but i never seem to get that many km ..........i usually get to about 400km and the warning light comes on telling me i am low on fuel........

·
Registered
319 Posts
checked my mileage at last fillup--about 20.5 on that tank of gas with a 325 5-speed. Lots of near redlining on that tank!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts