E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What grade of gas doe you use for your 330i? With the rising gas prices, I have been wondering about the obvious :)

·
Registered
758 Posts
dont use anything other than premium ..

·
Registered
0 Posts
Taste it :lmao:

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
fordpwns said:
Taste it :lmao:
If its watery then you'll know you are getting ripped off..LOL:lmao:

Nothing But Chevron 93 octane w/ Techron here..:)

·
Registered
134 Posts
HIGH_HEAT said:
dont use anything other than premium ..

Thats not true!:rolleyes: These cars CAN and WILL run on 87 or higher. The cons of using 87 is that the timing is changed, causing a slight (might not be noticable) loss of power, and slightly less observed MPG. There is a sensor that detects gas octane and changes the timing accordingly, so you will not do any damage. In the end you only save a coouple bucks per fill up, less if you add in that your milage is reduced. When I bought my car they filled it up with 89 and I could tell absolutely no difference in performance. I use premium 91 because the savings (going to mid-grade) is minimal. Do a search it has been discussed MANY times. I bet 95 out of 100 people dont even know what the difference is between regular and premium gas.:shhh: All the additional octane does is raise the flash point of the gas (for higher compression engines for example). The knock sensor in out cars can detect the lower octane and change timing so there will be no detonation or pre-ignition. If your car runs rough on lower grade gas there is probably something wrong with your sensor.

So with that said, just use premium because its not like your really saving that much money.:thumbup:

·
Registered
169 Posts
I use 87... going just fine for 2 years...occasionally (like once every couple of months) I notice what seems like a small loss in power when I jam on the gas.... not sure if its due to the 87 gas or smoethign else... seems to run a bit more smooth on 91... but not worth the extra cash for me since I don't race around.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I use 87... going just fine for 2 years...occasionally (like once every couple of months) I notice what seems like a small loss in power when I jam on the gas.... not sure if its due to the 87 gas or smoethign else... seems to run a bit more smooth on 91... but not worth the extra cash for me since I don't race around.

·
PSHOPWERKS
4,449 Posts
Whatever is the cheapest.

·
Registered
169 Posts

1 - 13 of 13 Posts