E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
loves M.J.
5,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
heard bliz were the best out there..not sure about the difference between the two though?

Going to Mt. Bachelor in the e60, may encounter ice. Basically want the best tires for harsher winter conditions, just in case. Which do you reccommend?

tire size would be better if I chose the 225/50/17 correct? as opposed to 245/40/18?

Thanks a bunch,

Amber

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
3P0rtlnd12 said:
heard bliz were the best out there..not sure about the difference between the two though?

Going to Mt. Bachelor in the e60, may encounter ice. Basically want the best tires for harsher winter conditions, just in case. Which do you reccommend?

tire size would be better if I chose the 225/50/17 correct? as opposed to 245/40/18?

Thanks a bunch,

Amber
The WS-50 is a Q rated snow tire, while the LM22 in this size is V rated.

A clip from my winter tire sticky explains further :

Get snow tires appropriate to your climate and driving style. If you don't see too much snow during the winter, and you like to drive/corner fast, look into the H-rated or V-rated high performance snow tires like the Dunlop winter sport M2/M3 or the Blizzak LM-22/LM-25.

If your area gets heavy snow or a lot of packed snow and ice, then look into a more aggressive, Q rated snow tire like the Blizzak WS-50. Q rated winter tires like the Blizzak WS-50 offer the best in snow traction, but will give up some dry road responsiveness over an H/V rated snow tire to get it. The former Moderator Eddie ran this tire on his 330CI last winter, and I've run these for years on my car.

Moving to 225/50R17 will have reduced dry handling but has several advantages, including stronger snow capability, more sidewall protection from winter damaged roads, and lower priced tires in most cases.

For the conditions you've described, the WS-50 in 225/50R17 sounds like the way to go. Feel free to call me or email me today if you'd like to discuss further.

http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BN4&url=/winter/index.jsp

1 - 2 of 2 Posts