BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I was just wondering what the average gains for new ECU software. A reasonably large company Superchips in the UK is quoting 12hp gains from (330) only new new software, not including exhaust, intake etc.

They've got a dyno to go with it so I can only presume if its a legitimate dyno the numbers are acceptable. Does this seem about right ? (http://www.superchips.co.uk/curves/330i.pdf)

One last thing, any reasons not to have the ECU remapped ? (as long its done by a professional company etc). I would have gone Dinan but they don't do much work in Europe.

Thanks,
Stuart.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I did mine too, from 170 BHP to 194 BHP.
Done by Powerplus here in Belgium.
No problems so far (6000 km).

hans

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hans_ACS said:
I did mine too, from 170 BHP to 194 BHP.
Done by Powerplus here in Belgium.
No problems so far (6000 km).

hans
Is that 194 HP @ the wheels?

·
Registered
384 Posts
I don't believe it. Dinan software did jack **** for me. If Dinan can't do it, noone can.. The only thing that works is custom software, dyno tuned for your specific mods. mucho $$$$$

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Remember Dinan is very conservative

Dinan isn't going to do anything that isn't a reasonable and conservative limit as to not upset it's relationship with BMW.

emi323i said:
I don't believe it. Dinan software did jack **** for me. If Dinan can't do it, noone can.. The only thing that works is custom software, dyno tuned for your specific mods. mucho $$$$$

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have very little experience or info about Dinan becuase they don't do anything in the UK/Europe but I have seen the Dyno's from Superchips and for a tiny £270 they re-map the ECU and the quoted performance gain is 12HP. Thats without any new exhausts or intakes etc.

Dinan will be more conservative than most becuase of the warranty with BMW which is the only thing which concerns me in the UK of going with someone who hasn't any relationship with BMW. I'm guessing that the ECU re-map will void some part if not a significant amount of BMW warranty ? Can the dealers tell if the ECU has been done ?

Thanks,
Stuart.

·
blackonblack
269 Posts
-=Stu=- said:
I have very little experience or info about Dinan becuase they don't do anything in the UK/Europe but I have seen the Dyno's from Superchips and for a tiny £270 they re-map the ECU and the quoted performance gain is 12HP. Thats without any new exhausts or intakes etc.

Dinan will be more conservative than most becuase of the warranty with BMW which is the only thing which concerns me in the UK of going with someone who hasn't any relationship with BMW. I'm guessing that the ECU re-map will void some part if not a significant amount of BMW warranty ? Can the dealers tell if the ECU has been done ?

Thanks,
Stuart.
I don't believe they can tell just by looking at it (unless the company puts a sticker or something on it). However, they can find out pretty easily if they have to check it for something.

I have the Dinan STG 1...besides removing the limiter and raising the rev limit, it doesn't do much. However, I plan on getting some sort of Intake and thus getting a free upgrade to STG 2. This is where the performance gains are supposed to be realized.

sig.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After talking with some other owners on some UK forums a few people have recommended Van Aaken rather than Superchips. I spoke with them today and they are quoting 18-20 HP gain with their software if the customer is using a good exhaust and intake. It sounds a little too good to be true, but again they have dynos and a few people on the group have already had it done.

Regarding the BMW concerns, obviously warranty with BMW would have to be discussed with them, but from the point of view of Van Aaken they say that BMW at a dealership level can't tell if the ECU's been re-mapped, but if BMW over-write the ECU (e.g. a newer version to resolve some general model problems) then Van Aaken will be able to tell (as well as the fact that the car will have lost the 18 HP :) ).

The costs to have it done seem cheap but it all sounds too good to be true :) I know BMW's software has to allow for the varying conditions of use etc, but 18-20HP power loss seems a lot. It then raises the questions about wear and damange to the engine if BMW has specifically reduced the performance etc.... :( Why can't things be easy hehe.

Thanks,
Stuart.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I read about this superchips and I thought 12BHP was a bit over the top!

OBD-II based cars have so much adapatorbility in them that I would assume the engine is always running at peak efficency, so I am not sure how much more you could get out of it!!

One thing I have noted about my car, the way it drives and how the engine performs has changed so much in the last month or so, since my run period was passed!!

Are you going to give it a go?

regards,
Tarkan

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi. The quotes 12 HP from superchips sounded a little much, but Van Aaken are adament about their 18-20HP, they even said quoting anymore would be lieing to the custmer etc. The gains sound far too go for such a small cost £225-£250.

I spoke with them today and they've done a lot of E46's, particularly 330D auto's and they seem pretty confident with what they've done before. I think they said something about some of their best gains were on the E36 M3.

Not sure about the whole thing, will have to ponder it a little more hehe. I belive Van Aaken don't use a fixed format re-map. They make adjustments based upon whether your using a 3rd part intake and Exhaust, where as Superchips only have 1 version per car/engine and thats it. That would explain a possible gain with the Van Aaken software compared to superchips, but another 6-8 HP again seems a bit much :D

Someone on the UK boards was supposed to have their car done today by Superchips, and there is someone already on there that has an E46 done by Van Aaken, and his brother's Merc was done by Van Aaken so I'll have a word with them first.

Thanks,
Stuart.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts