E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok ive painted my calipers before on my previous car. used the spray paint in can for calipers. however this time i chose to purchase the G2 caliper paint due to its luster and durability.

heres the ***** part, i need to do the job at my work. why because i can pull my car inside the building and be on a flat concrete surface with fans and stuff so i dont sweat my balls off in this heat. also the metal brakets on the calipers, even though my car is only months old, are rusted and i need to use my work's glass bead blaster to remove the rust before painting. the issue at hand is that the instructions say the paint cures enough after two hours to put the rims back on but not to drive the car for 24 hours. at best i will get about 8 hours at work before i need to drive home. has any one or know someone that has shorted the time from 24 hours to a lesser time and if so what happened? ie nothing, or the paint went to crap.

ill be doing this in the morning, so ill check the site first thing to see any replies. if worst case senerio, i can probably get a ride home but i would prefer not because then i would need a ride to work. i dont live close to my work so it would suck for someone to help me out.

i know that the paint is worthless for application after 4-6 hours im just assuming that driving the car before a full cure will add way to much heat to the calipers and mess up the paint or bubble the paint.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ya i used the cheapo caliper paint as well previously and you could drive off pretty much immediately. however the G2 system uses a chemical agent that is combined with the color you choose and requires a cure time.

as far as leaving them alone, i got my car late december of 2003. the damn metal brackets are rusting, the calipers look like crap and it doesnt help my zhp has the 10 spoke ///M rims which shows the caliper more than other bimmer rims.

so painting is going to happen but i might just sell the g2 kit and use the cheapo spray paint that i can do one at a time with not specific time limit.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
well im doing it with a short turn around and we will see what happens. the paint is supposed to be useable for 4-6 hours, well mine was useless after two hours. i guess the higher temperatures here are the cause. this higher heat should also cure the paint quicker than normal recommendations as well. therefore at this point i feel that it should be fine. however i will update if there is an issue, there are many people that can not afford to wait over night or the full 24 hours although i am sure some can.

i can say that it sucked to paint the last two calipers. the brush went to crap pretty quick which made the last two calipers a lot harder to paint. an extra brush would help this situation. i know spray painting was alot easier. also i used most of the brake cleaning spray on the front two calipers as they get the most work and had the most crap on them. this left me with very little cleaner to do the rear calipers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.