E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just got back from my BMW Dealer Body Shop for an estimate on the break-in and key-ing. I am having the driver door cylinder completely taken out, and having the driver door resemble the passenger door. no cylinder, no access to the lock, and even if the BLANK cap gets popped off, there will be no access to unlock my door "Manually" since the cylinder won't be present.

Price: $65 :thumbup:

Re-worked, Installed, and Painted. :thumbup:

They are going to call my cell in a couple of days after they paint the cap. I'll let you people know how it goes.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Difference

I am getting the internal cylinder removed also. So even if someone gets smart and smashed the cap off, there still wont be a way to unlock the door manually. Rigth now, if i bought a cap and painted it, then replaced, they could still bust it off and have access to a replaced, or partial cylinder.

I don't know if where you are at if it has been going down like up here. So if you want, you can just cap. I personally am going all the way on both my rides.

·
Registered
280 Posts
where u located and which dealer? my dealer quoted me a crazy amount to do this....had breakin also..bastards...

·
Registered
426 Posts
About removing your door lock cylanders. You said you went to the BMW body shop - was this just the service part of the dealership or was it a BMW certified body shop? Do you know where I could find one in the NJ area?

Thanks!

·
Registered
985 Posts
NE1 know how hard it is to remove lock cylinder yourself? And are you sure nothing can be turned inside the door with a screwdriver if there is no cylinder present and someone breaks the cover?

I will do the cylinder lock removal myself, if it's not that big of a deal.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
ScottV said:
NE1 know how hard it is to remove lock cylinder yourself? And are you sure nothing can be turned inside the door with a screwdriver if there is no cylinder present and someone breaks the cover?

I will do the cylinder lock removal myself, if it's not that big of a deal.
this is what i want to know if i can just remove it myself?:dunno:

·
Registered
949 Posts
ScottV,

I think Titanium330 is saying he's replacing the entire handle. There will be no cylinder in the door at all. I think if you remove the cylinder from the stock handle it wouldn't work right.:dunno:

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good question. No answer though. Never tired, just getting it done.

Anyone know if its easy to remove? We all know its easy to break in, but is it easy to take out as a Do-It-Yourself????

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
coolio4433 said:
ScottV,

I think Titanium330 is saying he's replacing the entire handle. There will be no cylinder in the door at all. I think if you remove the cylinder from the stock handle it wouldn't work right.:dunno:
JUST THE CAP!!! :thumbup: Not the handle :banghead:

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nick325xiT 5spd said:
I wouldn't dare remove the cylinder. I park in too many places where the radio interference is strong enough that the remote is intermittent.
If worse comes to worse, I'll climb in the trunk and watch out for the subs. Used to do it in my jeep anyway when I shaved the handles off :thumbup:

·
Registered
847 Posts
Let me try to understand what the bodyshop will do to the lock cylinder. Are they going to somehow fabricate something so the round hole on the cap will not be there anymore. I'll be curiuos to see how they will do it. My guess is they will somehow weld a piece of metal so it closes the round hole inside the cap. Then its a question of how strong that metal piece will be once its there.

In any case, post some pics once you get your car.

·
Registered
345 Posts
how is it possible for one to enter the car through the trunk? arent the back seats locked:dunno:

·
Registered
62 Posts
i got my key hole capped at JMK bmw in springfield bmw. he took the old piece off, took the cylinder out and took the new cap and put a block of metal and like 3 nickels behind the cap. so even if they drill through the cap, it will be harder because of all the **** behind the cap :D and then once they get through, there is no cylinder to unlock the door :D :D hahahaha those stupid [email protected] will have a harder time getting in. but if the jacker sees that you have put a blank on the driver side, why would he even waste his time trying to get into your car. because if you have it switched to a blank, then it's clear that you know that these [email protected] are trying to break into cars and that you don't have your key in the glove box. the only way they will try to STILL break in is if you got some crazy car stereo or some sh!t.

·
moderation in all things
877 Posts
on a related note...

can anybody confirm the part number for the driver's side key hole cover for a 02 sedan? :D

i did a search and found:

51 21 7 002 277

and

51 21 8 241 401

thanks!!

·
Registered
847 Posts
jason330i said:
on a related note...

can anybody confirm the part number for the driver's side key hole cover for a 02 sedan? :D

i did a search and found:

51 21 7 002 277

and

51 21 8 241 401

thanks!!
Mine is a coupe and its: 51 21 7 002 277

Its gotta be the other part number for the sedans.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.