BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

461 - 466 of 466 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
i got the mechanical fan clutch remover tool, would i be able to swap the mech fan with the eletrical one, and drive it roughly 5 miles to my indy and have them remove the aux fan? Id like to do it this way to avoid having to remove front bumper for aux fan, and having to pay for the whole service when i already have the tool. Thanks guys!!!
FYI, it is surprisingly quick and easy to remove the bumper. Likely you'll spend more time just removing the pusher fan. GL

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Mine is e46 325i 2000. Imho its not suitable in Medan. The electric fan put my engine at maks temperature allowed by DME. Mine is 96C and the electric holds that temperature till thermostat full open at 97C. I think 96C is my working engine temperature at maks allowed, i got 96C almost all the time before tstat open. So i switched back to manual clutch fan yesterday and i rarely saw 96C on my OBC gauge, 94C and less mostly.
Why install the Z4 fan? There isn't an E46 electric fan that has the proper cooling capability for the automatic E46. While future BMW automatic models received an electric fan, the E46 didn't receive the update. The E85 Z4 is close enough to the E46 that its fan may be used in the E46. The design of the Z4 electric fan for manual models is also an improvement over the original E46 electric fan.
wfx32 said:
looking for a lightly used one of these 600w cooling fans .. 17113415181/17113442089 from the X3 or 17427542912/17427514104 from the Z4
it's probably overkill for most, but there are many people in true hot climates that could benefit by installing this 600W 'hot climate' version of the electric fan from the Z4 or X3.

·
Registered
14 Posts
clutch fan vs. elec fan - WHY???

After review of much good info I just ordered the electric puller fan to replace the clutch fan on my 05 automatic. I am curious though. Does anybody know why BMW used the different fan setups for manual vs. automatic transmission models?

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
After review of much good info I just ordered the electric puller fan to replace the clutch fan on my 05 automatic. I am curious though. Does anybody know why BMW used the different fan setups for manual vs. automatic transmission models?
6) if electric fan dies you are done

7) viscous is not depended on 20 years old electric system witch goes apart
viscous engages at 95 celcius and never goes more then 1.5-1.8 k rpm, if i push it just looses grip - for safe usege when acceleration or when its under load.
9) on m54's temperatures are high and as friend mentioned above it is crucioal your electric fans to fork perfectly.
pay a lot of money for oem electric fan system. ofc it should be new - one more con.
good points. viscous/clutch does engage automatically. and i thought long and hard about #7 before going with an electric fan. these cars are famous for electrical problems.
i think it's the ATF cooler that requires the additional cooling capacity. so the 600W and 400W fans are better than 300W. check out the above thread for more discussion on mechanical vs electric fan.

461 - 466 of 466 Posts