E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, first off thanks for all your input and sharing knowledge with all of us.

Now to my problem, a couple days ago I went to turn on my a/c and nothing happens. No lights, no air, no nothing. So, I first checked the Fuse Box, Fuse 28 is blown so I replaced it. Immediately after I replaced it, it blew again (same fuse #) so I put in another and it worked....for a day. Next day, I noticed that the fuse was blown, so I replaced it again...worked for awhile then it blew again.

I have researched a lot of sites related to this problem and it seems like it is either the Final Stage Resister or the A/C Climate Control (IHKR) has gone bad. However, when I had the A/C working, the blower seemed like it was working properly with no problems (except for the fuse blowing) so I do not think it's the FSR.

I also tried another remedy last night when I pulled all of the A/C related Fuses and Fuse 50 (blower) to try and "reset" the system... got in the car this morning and Fuse 28 was blown again!

Please! If anyone knows what route I need to go (replace the FSR or IHKR Climate Control) or any tips to help solve this problem would be GREATLY appreciated....it's way too hot to drive around with my windows down.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Two days ago I pulled out the A/C controller checked the wires and made sure everything was secure/pluged in, but it still blew a fuse after I replaced Fuse 28. What are the symptoms of a FSR going bad? It does not seem that the blower is acting weird, thats why I thought it could be the IHKR.

I'll try your advice and remove the Final Stage relay, any link to show the DIY? Also, when I do remove it, do I leave it out and see how it goes?

Basically, both replacement parts (IHKR and FSR) will run me $80ish, so I'm just trying to save myself from buying both.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pretty good with a/c stuff

I looked around and have to agree sounds like the Final stage relay is bad. I would disconnect it and see if you still blow fuse.
Ok, so I replaced the old Climate Control Unit with a newer version. Everything worked well for almost 2days then pffff. Fuse 28 had blown again.

I took your advice about removing the Final Stage Resistor. I turned on the car and the A/C, and no blown fuse. Blower fan did not come on though. So I plugged in the old FSR, turned on the car and A/C, no blown fuses and everything is fine, but the FSR was getting VERY hot (Is this a sign that my FSR has gone bad?)

Overnght I left the car alone and the old FSR unplugged from the car, I got in the car today and I noticed that the Fuse 28 had blown again!

Any suggestions on this problem?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I started having the same problem yesterday. Upon starting our 2001 330ci the entire Climate Control system shuts down. I took it to our local independent BMW mechanic. He replaced a fuse (#28 I believe). That fixed the problem for most of the day. However, it suddenly occurred again upon starting the engine. I have scheduled an appointment with our BMW mechanic to take a look at it and will post on what he finds. BTW, I did have the "final stage resister" replaced about 8K miles ago due to being unable to adjust the fan speeds.

·
Registered
10 Posts
What was your finding?

The found the below BMW service bulletin. What doe the "e-box fan" stand for and where do i get started?

August 2005 Technical Service

SUBJECT IHKA Inoperative, Fuse 28 Blown
MODEL E46 (3 Series)
SITUATION
The customer states that the IHKA panel does not operate.
CAUSE
Fuse 28 is blown caused by shorted wiring or a seized e-box fan.
PROCEDURE
1. Check to see if Fuse 28 is blown.
2. If Fuse 28 is blown, then check wiring to e-box fan for shorting (possibly under e-box mounting screw). Repair wiring as necessary.
3. If wiring is good, check e-box fan for seizure (spins freely).
4. Replace fan if seized.

Read more: http://www.justanswer.com/questions...k-ago-and-now-my-console-for-my#ixzz0hzYvdBb4

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks. I looked for the e-box fan as well.
It seems to exist only on the 7 series models & e-39's and not on the E46 3 series. (can't find the part when i search for same on e-46 as well)

I replaced my fuse but it's blown again after a few days. Any suggestions??

These problems began a few days after i replaced my overflow coolant tank which had cracked.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am having the same problem. Fuse 28 blowing etc on my e46 325i. I have disconnected the final stage resistor whilst I wait for a replacement from the USA (5 times more expensive in Australia) and interestingly, the fuse still blows, albeit after a few days.
Not sure if the new resistor will make a difference now.

For the sake of it, I ordered the 4/5 prong multi purpose relay that goes behind the glove box that is also to do with the AC controls.

Will wait and see...will post result.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I got the same problem! [email protected]#!
Took the blower out, than start raining so i take out the resistor tomorrow fuse should stay in without the resistor and without the motor?
The blower is seized, and the hamsterwels are half broken! time for replacement anyway.

Any news yet?

·
Registered
29 Posts
yes! as i put it in it blows and its just a 5amp i changed the ac control head unit and took out the blower next i do tomorrow is the resistor, i just dont understand how the resistor can blow a fuse? Anyway, I gonna find that little devil!!!!!

·
Registered
2001 E46 330i Sedan
420 Posts
Check the rear defogger relay

Fuse 28 also supplying the rear window defogger relay. The relay should be somewhere near rear strut tower passanger side - behind the rear seat. You need to remove the trims. Check this relay. FSR supply come from different fuse, F50 that is.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i have the same issue. the fuse 28 keeps blowing in hot weather day every 10min, summer time. however it is okay at night. i wonder why. anyone fixes this issue? i changed the ac control head unit before, but no luck. going to change the relay and final stage resistor. thanks!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts