BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I go fast on the highway with the pedal all the way down, I believe I begin to smell something that probably isn't good (not strong) but there. It smells like burning rubber in a way, and I'm not sure if that just happens because the engine is working hard and it doesn't mean anything bad? Is this normal, and if it is, is it doing anything terrible to the engine/car etc.?
Thanks

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
When I go fast on the highway with the pedal all the way down, I believe I begin to smell something that probably isn't good (not strong) but there. It smells like burning rubber in a way, and I'm not sure if that just happens because the engine is working hard and it doesn't mean anything bad? Is this normal, and if it is, is it doing anything terrible to the engine/car etc.?
Thanks
Not normal. either worn serpentine belt, siezed pulleys, VCG is leaking.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
F**k... Not the answer I was looking for. Thanks though.
Are the items mentioned easy to replace?
Thanks
For me it is. It should be if you are mechanically inclined.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
why are you flooring your car on the highway? If it smells more like oil then its your VCG.

·
Registered
26,261 Posts
Usually the vcg is noticed when stopped and idling...smell gets pulled into cabin air filter.

I think you need to look pretty soon and figure this out. Belt/pulleys/ look for signs of vcg leak, other oil leaks, coolant. I don't know what smell you smelled really and it sounds like you don't either.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Usually the vcg is noticed when stopped and idling...smell gets pulled into cabin air filter.

I think you need to look pretty soon and figure this out. Belt/pulleys/ look for signs of vcg leak, other oil leaks, coolant. I don't know what smell you smelled really and it sounds like you don't either.
I only smell it when I'm going fast 5 on the highway. It lasts for a little bit then goes away, definately not when idling...I usually pop my hood, stick my head in, and try to get a good wiff of the smell but it is never there...So it's pretty weird. It's not strong it just comes through the fan and I can smell a light buring let's say. Not strong.

·
/// Limitless
3,505 Posts
There's also another anomaly with our cars but I've never noticed the smell to occur when going fast, necessarily. There's sometimes a crayon smell from the sound deadening material in our trunks and under our rear seats. You can pull up the carpeting in the trunk area of the car and expose the shock tower / wheel well to get an idea of what that smell is. :dunno:

·
Registered
26,261 Posts
No one has mentioned cats yet...
Yea, how come no one has mentioned cats? Does it smell like you wonder if someone had too many vegetables for lunch...aka...rotten eggs? I'll get that in one place, at the top of a long steep hill that I have to drive over to get home.

I don't know that that means your cats are necessarily bad, though. I believe bad 02 sensors can cause that rotten egg smell, but I'm not really sure of the relation between the sensors and cats working properly...and it may be you're a BAMF.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yea, how come no one has mentioned cats? Does it smell like you wonder if someone had too many vegetables for lunch...aka...rotten eggs? I'll get that in one place, at the top of a long steep hill that I have to drive over to get home.

I don't know that that means your cats are necessarily bad, though. I believe bad 02 sensors can cause that rotten egg smell, but I'm not really sure of the relation between the sensors and cats working properly...and it may be you're a BAMF.
And Cats is...?
Like the next door neighbors' cat who got caught under my hood and has been rotting in there?
It's just annoying to know that there's something causing the smell and I don't know what it is because it goes away so fast (once I begin to slow down).

·
Registered
26,261 Posts
And Cats is...?
Like the next door neighbors' cat who got caught under my hood and has been rotting in there?
It's just annoying to know that there's something causing the smell and I don't know what it is because it goes away so fast (once I begin to slow down).
Catalytic Converter. Very expensive, usually can go 10 years without an issue, unless 02 sensors go bad (is what I hear) in which case the cat can get fried from working too much...or something like that. I hope I'm sort of close with that detailed explanation.

Also, OP, a quick search of cat here would have told you what cat means, same as all acronyms/abbreviations that are foreign to you. If we had to write everything out, can you imagine how long some posts would get. Many more posts would end up being as long as mine (calm down Albz!).:lmao:

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Catalytic Converter. Very expensive, usually can go 10 years without an issue, unless 02 sensors go bad (is what I hear) in which case the cat can get fried from working too much...or something like that. I hope I'm sort of close with that detailed explanation.

Also, OP, a quick search of cat here would have told you what cat means, same as all acronyms/abbreviations that are foreign to you. If we had to write everything out, can you imagine how long some posts would get. Many more posts would end up being as long as mine (calm down Albz!).:lmao:
You are right but cats don't have a level they work at, they just work, like a filter. They get fried from 02 sensors messing up readings and sending too much fuel (rich) into the cylinder, which comes out unburned and ends up burning inside the hot catalytic convertor. Hence, breaking the cat down.

·
Registered
244 Posts
If its the VCG you will smell /burning/ oil... I did before I replaced mine about 8000 miles ago. it was a pretty easy job, but I'm pretty handy. If it doesnt smell like oil has dropped onto the exhaust manifold and burned (which it often does if the VCG fails) than perhaps it is the Cats. Meow.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts