E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

So I am in the process of bringing my new to me '04 330Ci Vert back to where it should be on its PM's and replaced parts.

I have been working on the suspension recently and I just noticed that my drivers side strut tower has the mushroom look. The bolts are all pointing away from the center at different angles. Compared to the passenger side strut tower which is flat and all the bolts are pointing straight up.

So my search of the threads recommend that the 'strut tower reinforcement plates' (from the poor road package) be added to my suspension. Being the the Vert has 74k miles I would also be replacing the front suspension components like struts, strut mounts, bump stops, rubber bellows, spring seats, etc.

Any advice on what to do about the mushrooming strut tower? So threads say a rubber mallet & block of wood can pound the tower back into shape. Others recommend taking the tower to a shop so a machine can be used.

I am glad I noticed the mushrooming strut tower before it blew out but of course now I am behind on bringing my front suspension up to date. Any advice would be helpful from others that have gone through this kind of 'fungus infection'.

-Nickvjr

·
Registered
253 Posts
I didn't mushroom, but cracked my shock tower. (thank you shitty California highways) I went to my body shop and asked them to weld it back together, since the crack was only about 1/4 inch. Came out to about $150. After it was all done the camber couldn't be set to spec (something like -0.2 off) he offered to cut out the shock tower and weld in a new one, but it would have cost close to $1000 from what I remember.

I also got the reinforcement plates and put those on. Something anyone replacing their suspension should do in my opinion. They are like $16 and could save you a lot of headaches in the future.

Your best bet is probably to just go to a shop and get an estimate. Personally I wouldn't start banging on my car. Even if it's what a body shop would do. I'd rather pay them $100-200, then if they screw up you're not paying the bill.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.