BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 406 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys!

I'd like to share a project I have been working on for almost a year -- it's a Bluetooth adapter for our cars that integrates as if it were factory equipment, much like the "Intravee". The adapter, known as the BlueBus, also integrates with other vehicles from the E46 era which were equipped with the IBus.

Here's a video explaining the BlueBus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UO9WvRbNzZg

You will also find more information about the project on the website listed below.

Anyways, I'm getting close to having them manufactured, so if there's any interest for it here, I have a "pre-order" form on the project website: https://www.bluebus.dev

I will not be taking money from anyone until I am ready to send off to manufacture, so keep that in mind, please.

Additionally, if you're capable, the project is fully open source, so you can have the boards built and source all of the components yourself, if you wanted :).

P.S. The main thread where I have been talking about the development of this module is over on M3F: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=599340

Thanks!
-Ted

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Looks like a good replacement for my ULF13/DICE Silverline Pro setup. Not preordering yet, but definitely something to keep an eye on.
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like a good replacement for my ULF13/DICE Silverline Pro setup. Not preordering yet, but definitely something to keep an eye on.
:thumbsup:
Most definitely!

Just so everyone is aware, the pre-order list is so I have a round-about idea how many units I need to have manufactured when I send off for that in a few weeks :)

·
Registered
467 Posts
That's really cool. Amazing how well you were able to integrate everything into the factory headunits - you'd never know it wasn't a factory option.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's really cool. Amazing how well you were able to integrate everything into the factory headunits - you'd never know it wasn't a factory option.
Thank you! That's exactly what I was going for. The DICE/Grom units do a really poor job of interfacing with the vehicle, which is why I set out to make this adapter to begin with.

The only issue is the "flicker" of the main display area on the nav units when the radio decides to update it with the CD / Track info, hah.

-Ted

·
Registered
344 Posts
This is very cool. My car doesn’t even have speakers, but I’m considering an e46 touring to replace my beater Mondeo and I’d love this!

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is very cool. My car doesn’t even have speakers, but I’m considering an e46 touring to replace my beater Mondeo and I’d love this!

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics
E46 touring are the best. Keep me in mind if you ever have a car compatible with my module :)

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
Placed my order (#91) around the 20th of November. Last day to get the introductory price is either tomorrow or this weekend, I think. There is now a review video in post number #648 of the M3forum thread listed in the first post of this thread. This BlueBus package is really quite slick! I'm hoping for the best, too!

·
Registered
681 Posts
This sounds very interesting!
I see reference to the Business CD in your video, this is all I have in my '02 325i - no CD changer.
Where does the BlueBus mount? How many panels need to be pulled? I saw reference to perhaps de-pinning connectors over on the m3forum...
If you can point me to any install pics I would be grateful!

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
This sounds very interesting!
I see reference to the Business CD in your video, this is all I have in my '02 325i - no CD changer.
Where does the BlueBus mount? How many panels need to be pulled? I saw reference to perhaps de-pinning connectors over on the m3forum...
If you can point me to any install pics I would be grateful!
You have what I have, as I don't have a CD changer either. I don't think Ted has prepared any install photos yet. Do you have a 'talking head' on your steering wheel? If so, then you probably already have the necessary connectors in your trunk on the left hand side behind the trunk panel liner. The BlueBus gets mounted in the trunk behind the left hand panel. The video is not mine, it is something I copied from the M3forum site.

You may want to start reading ~page 55, ~post 542 of this thread. Or if you have time, scan the whole thread for a real feel for the genesis of this unit:
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=599340&page=55
Ted brought the BlueBus to fruition all on his own, both hardware and software. It really is quite an achievement, IMHO.

You may also want to send Ted a PM, at t3ddftw. He'll probably answer you back quite promptly if it is like what happened to me. Be sure to watch his video in the original post #1, of this thread, up above.

·
Registered
681 Posts
You have what I have, as I don't have a CD changer either. I don't think Ted has prepared any install photos yet. Do you have a 'talking head' on your steering wheel? If so, then you probably already have the necessary connectors in your trunk on the left hand side behind the trunk panel liner. The BlueBus gets mounted in the trunk behind the left hand panel. The video is not mine, it is something I copied from the M3forum site.

You may want to start reading ~page 55, ~post 542 of this thread. Or if you have time, scan the whole thread for a real feel for the genesis of this unit:
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=599340&page=55
Ted brought the BlueBus to fruition all on his own, both hardware and software. It really is quite an achievement, IMHO.

You may also want to send Ted a PM, at t3ddftw. He'll probably answer you back quite promptly if it is like what happened to me. Be sure to watch his video in the original post #1, of this thread, up above.
Thanks, I went through the first 10 pages of the thread and then realized the thread had 60 some pages!
I think I do have the "talking head" button on the wheel, I think it says somewhere that the car is ready for a BMW cell phone (ha-ha).
I will confirm.
Does the talking head button mean the car and stereo could then handle calls via BlueBus? That would be a bonus!

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
I think I do have the "talking head" button on the wheel, I think it says somewhere that the car is ready for a BMW cell phone (ha-ha).
I will confirm.
Does the talking head button mean the car and stereo could then handle calls via BlueBus? That would be a bonus!
Yes, that is my understanding. You can also check by looking at your overhead console on the right hand side closer to the windshield. There should be a black, rectangular, plastic piece. That is either just a blank, or is actually a microphone for the cell phone feature. It is very easy to remove. It sounds like you have more closely to what I have. If you have a microphone attached to a wiring connector, you won't have to get that.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Yes, that is my understanding. You can also check by looking at your overhead console on the right hand side closer to the windshield. There should be a black, rectangular, plastic piece. That is either just a blank, or is actually a microphone for the cell phone feature. It is very easy to remove. It sounds like you have more closely to what I have. If you have a microphone attached to a wiring connector, you won't have to get that.
I got a chance to check my machine at lunch:
  • I do have the talking head button on steering wheel
  • I have a little black platic grille where you describe. When I remove it, all I can see is what looks like an electric motor (sunroof?)
  • When I open the trunk lid, there are little plastic "buttons" that say things like "Pre-wired for BMW cell phone" and "pre-wired for compact disc".

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
I got a chance to check my machine at lunch:
  • I do have the talking head button on steering wheel
  • I have a little black platic grille where you describe. When I remove it, all I can see is what looks like an electric motor (sunroof?)
  • When I open the trunk lid, there are little plastic "buttons" that say things like "Pre-wired for BMW cell phone" and "pre-wired for compact disc".
Sounds like you have all the wiring, and connectors, you need and may have to get a microphone that fits where that plastic grille is. The wiring for the cell phone microphone should be tucked up inside the overhead console with, IIRC, a 3 pin connector that is ready to connect to the microphone you may need to buy. The latest recommendation from BlueBus Ted is to get this microphone off eBay for the best price, as used will probably be fine.
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-bmw-parts/microphone/84318380338/
But that is up to you. Look at all of the pictures for this mic from ECS tuning to see if this part would seem to fit where you pulled out the plastic grille.

Since you don't seem to have a microphone, you probably don't have a TCU(Telematics Control Unit) behind that left hand trunk panel. You'll probably need to get this shelf on which to mount the BlueBus box:
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-bmw-parts/control-unit-bracket/84136924551/

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey guys!

For some reason I'm not getting subscription updates for this thread, which is why I have missed everything you said until now!

beechbmw: Thank you for being so helpful! You didn't miss a beat on any answer :)

I do plan to offer "plug and play" connectors for the TCU connector so that you don't have to de-pin stuff. I'm getting my ducks in a row there before I announce it to everyone who pre-ordered.

For the E46, it looks like this:

The M3F thread is definitely a time capsule for the development of this unit. To think I posted it about it in June of 2018!

Anyways, my original pre-order got extended because Ryan let me know he was getting ready to drop the review, so it didn't make sense to pause them then. Then, I ended up getting way more orders than I had TH3122 ICs for, which are only available from China. So, right now I am sitting like a dog by the window waiting for the DHL man to come with my new parts so that I can submit all 500 units for manufacture!

With that said, they will probably be 2 weeks delayed. I'll post more about timelines once I submit it to the assembly house and they get me a lead time.

Feel free to PM me or email me at [email protected] / [email protected] if you have any questions, concerns, or if you just want to say hello. I try to respond within minutes to all inquiries.

Thanks!
-Ted

·
Registered
681 Posts
Sorry for your delays, but good news that the pre-order is extended. I think I will jump in as it sounds like I can plug this in with a minimum of hassle to my Business CD player, TCU or not.

1 - 20 of 406 Posts