E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Full Review for the BMW E46/E85/E53/E39 OEM Sirius Satellite Radio Receiver

For those of you thinking of spending loads of money buying one of the remaining used OEM BMW E46/E39/E53/E85 Sirius Receiver Units of eBay and other online auction sites.

Watch the video:

PART 1:
YouTube - BMW OEM Sirius Review (BMW E46 Receiver vs. Mercedes Benz's 2010 Media Screen) Part 1

PART 2:
YouTube - BMW OEM Sirius Review (Mercedes Benz's 2010 Media Screen vs. BMW E46 Receiver) Part 2

Positives:

-Fully Integrated with CD53
-18 Presets available
-Sound Quality is Amazing
-Pretty fast in picking up channels and acquiring a signal-provided the antenna is mounted properly
-Reception is stellar even with a low budget aftermarket antenna
-Easy to set up in car
-Sirius does not count these older receivers as "factory installed" or "oem car radio" so the limitations and rules do not apply this receiver that prohibits subscription transfers between in car factory installed Sirius radios.
-Works with USA-Spec, DICE, and any other iPod Integration kits.
-Most units can work with both the CD53 and/or OEM Navigation so you have the flexibility of upgrading to nav and not losing Sirius
-Resale value at this time is out of this world. Expect to sell your used units for either what you paid for them or more when you are ready to sell them.
Negatives:
-Scroll features suck
-These Sirius units may not get XM Only packages and channels
-Scarcity and absence of production have drove up the prices of used units. I was ready to pay close to $500 for a receiver last fall and most 2nd/3rd gen receivers on eBay can bid all the way up to the $900s if the come with subscriptions.
-BMW either does not warranty or service these units at all or you have limited service/warranties on them if you buy a CPO with a receiver installed.
-Fahkra Antennas that this unit uses tend to be more expensive and rarer than the normal-connection Sirius antenna

Using the print out to channel surf :-(

Here is Sirius on the OEM BMW Navigation Screen as shown in SNA77's 2004 325xi:

This is how Sirius works on a Mercedes Benz 2010 with the Media Package Display Screen. I used this as something to compare my BMW Sirius to.

link to picture album:
ImageShack Album - 17 images

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Delmarco man! Don't mount the sat anntenae on the trunk....put it inside the car on the center of the rear deck replacing the child seat bolt thingy as seen in this DIY:
http://www.my330i.com/mod34.php#J

If anyone has a line on a reasonably priced OEM Sirius unit let me know. I hear the BMW Sirius can't recieve the "Best of XM" package channels for some reason. There is an XM Direct kit that works almost the same as the OEM Sirius but just doesn't scroll the text.

·
Registered
5,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Delmarco man! Don't mount the sat anntenae on the trunk....put it inside the car on the center of the rear deck replacing the child seat bolt thingy as seen in this DIY:
http://www.my330i.com/mod34.php#J

If anyone has a line on a reasonably priced OEM Sirius unit let me know. I hear the BMW Sirius can't recieve the "Best of XM" package channels for some reason. There is an XM Direct kit that works almost the same as the OEM Sirius but just doesn't scroll the text.
Hey Zen,
yeah the text scroll feature is a slightly disappointing on the Sirius to CD53 unit. You have to press info each time to get the artist and song title info and SCROLL ON feature must be activated every time you turn the SIRIUS mode on. It which it was automatic and I which it just didn't only scroll one thing but scrolled multiple information.

IE. it would only scroll Channel 45 repeatedly which is useless when it would be better to scroll Channel 45 / Hip Hip Nation / Rick Ross / Magnificent

so you get everything. The only benefits so far is that is all integrated into the car, it is crystal clear and the sound quality is amazing also for me my Sirius receiver is compatible with the BMW E46 Navigation package. SO I can always opt to spend $2,000 and upgrade my to car to navigation

·
european auto source
12,194 Posts
I had bought a receiver for my 2006 M3 from Circle BMW. But, I cannot go to any channels to activate the unit. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have the factory nav unit.
The receiver will need to be tuned to CH 184 prior to call-in activation - you may or may not have audio during the activation period.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have my antenna mounted under the hood right under the plastic black mesh piece on the hood right above the cabin air filter. It works great.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had bought a receiver for my 2006 M3 from Circle BMW. But, I cannot go to any channels to activate the unit. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have the factory nav unit.
I had this issue when I activated the OEM Sirius in my 2005 330i... I couldn't go to any stations to do anythign about activation. All that came up was the alternating screens telling me to call the 800 number for Sirius. I called Sirius, and the procedure they ran through was to have the car off and key out of the ignition for 3 minutes (i think this is bogus, but expect it just in case). Next I turned the car on and they sent an activation signal to my unit. That's when it started working. Apparently the first activation signal never made it through. I never had to tune to a particular station, nor was I able to before everything was activated.

Good luck.

·
Registered
5,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had this issue when I activated the OEM Sirius in my 2005 330i... I couldn't go to any stations to do anythign about activation. All that came up was the alternating screens telling me to call the 800 number for Sirius. I called Sirius, and the procedure they ran through was to have the car off and key out of the ignition for 3 minutes (i think this is bogus, but expect it just in case). Next I turned the car on and they sent an activation signal to my unit. That's when it started working. Apparently the first activation signal never made it through. I never had to tune to a particular station, nor was I able to before everything was activated.

Good luck.
I also had the activation issues. Your antenna MUST be in clear range of a full 100% signal for it to go through.

It is frustrating because the operators don't really understand the unique situation of these BMW cars that the BMW Sirius receiver is a factory OEM Brand receiver but it DID NOT come with the car out of the factory so it falls in a gray area between factory and aftermarket and Sirius is specific about factory versus aftermarket.

In the end the zapped the signal to it as if it was an aftermarket unit and not a factory one.

I think I will make another video review this weekend

·
Registered
5,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I also had the activation issues. Your antenna MUST be in clear range of a full 100% signal for it to go through.

It is frustrating because the operators don't really understand the unique situation of these BMW cars that the BMW Sirius receiver is a factory OEM Brand receiver but it DID NOT come with the car out of the factory so it falls in a gray area between factory and aftermarket and Sirius is specific about factory versus aftermarket.

In the end the zapped the signal to it as if it was an aftermarket unit and not a factory one.

I think I will make another video review this weekend

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=800262&highlight=sirius

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.