BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was having a strange issue about a week ago... the fuel gauge was showing 1/4 full, but I ran out of gas.

I attributed it to a faulty sender, filled it up, and went on my merry way, figuring I'd look into it in a while.

I drove probably 40 miles between then and now. Maybe used a gallon or two.

Today, I was driving home from work, and the car started sputtering and hesitating. It didn't want to rev much, but I managed to get through the stoplight before it shut off entirely. I got it started again, it moved a few feet, wouldn't go past about 2000 RPM. I finally got it out of the road and to a safe place. Car won't even start now, it just cranks and cranks.

Classic symptoms of running out of gas, right? The gauge is still pegged at full, I've only gone 40 miles since I filled it completely. What could be wrong?

This is going to be a ridiculously expensive repair if I have the dealer do it, so I'm going to try to get it to an indy shop. What parts do you think could have failed? Fuel pump(s)? Do these cars have more than one? Any way to test it?

I'm going to go back over to the car with a gas can tonight, but unless it's only getting fuel from the topmost gallon in the tank, I don't think it will help.

·
Registered
5,734 Posts
There's a fuel pump on the passenger side of the tank and a "sucking jet pump" on the other. Sounds like your fuel pump may have died and/or you have a clogged fuel filter/regulator. Would be a good time to replace both.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Which one of those would cause the gauge to read incorrectly? Or would that be the fuel level sending unit? If the FLSU went bad, would that cause the car to not start?

·
Registered
140 Posts
I had a similar problem. My car had about 1/8th tank of gas left, and I ran out of gas on the road. Filled up, car started again, and drove around for a couple of days. Same problem came back, found out I had a broken fuel pump. Got a new pump and filter, and problem went away.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did the onboard test, and here's what it said...

6.0 - 240330
6.1 - 0570
6.2 (it just had a 1. next to the 6.2)

So it looks as if both lobes have fuel. I'm going to replace the pump and filter and see if that resolves the problem.

Pump is pretty easy to do, right? Just pull the backseat up and there it is? What holds the backseat in? Clips, brackets, etc?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I pulled the backseat up quickly (dur, it just snaps out) and I noticed this harness hanging out. I ordered the pump, it'll get here Wednesday, but does anyone know what this harness goes to?

Does the rubber boot for the fuel pump just pull up?

·
Registered
698 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Swapped the pump and it works fine now. Still have the filter/regulator sitting in its box, I need to do that soon.

There's a local BMW enthusiast that does side work... I asked him what he charges and he said $60/hr, I figured fine, not a bad price. But then he said the fuel pump is a 3.6 hour job. Uhh, no thanks buddy. If you aren't a shop with a warranty, you shouldn't be charging book rate.

I did it myself in 20 minutes. Sheesh.

·
Registered
97 Posts
3.6hrs for a fuel pump???? that is just crazy talk

something to keep in mind is running low in fuel is not that great for your fuel pump as it will overheat, level sending units can be accurate but commonly fail.

·
Registered
296 Posts
....... and I noticed this harness hanging out, but does anyone know what this harness goes to?

I have the same loose harness under my 2001 325 sedan. Did anyone come up with an answer for what this harness is for? I have tried all sorts of searches but this is the only reference that I have come across.

Always curious about these odd wiring leads.

·
Registered
10,260 Posts
I have the same loose harness under my 2001 325 sedan. Did anyone come up with an answer for what this harness is for? I have tried all sorts of searches but this is the only reference that I have come across.

Always curious about these odd wiring leads.
One,
It goes to an option you do not have.

Two,
Why did you piggyback on a post that has been dead for 2.5 years?

I _think_ that wire is for part of the alarm system.

·
Registered
296 Posts
One,
It goes to an option you do not have.

Two,
Why did you piggyback on a post that has been dead for 2.5 years?

I _think_ that wire is for part of the alarm system.
Thank you for your reply, the only one I have received.

1. I guess I knew it was for an option that I did not have. But what is that option and could I fit it?

2. I am of the class of 2009 and I have read numerous posts from our 'elders' that noobs must NOT create new posts ... they must search, search and search some more and NEVER NEVER create a new post. So I attached to the only post that showed up in my many searches for 'Fuel Pump Harness', 'loose connection', 'wires under rear seat' etc that showed a reference to the unconnected harness.

What part of the alarm system would it be? I thought the alarm was situated in the headlining near the rearvision mirror.

At your suggestion, I will create a new thread to try and find the answer and put my flamesuit on.

·
Registered
33,108 Posts
Thank you for your reply, the only one I have received.

1. I guess I knew it was for an option that I did not have. But what is that option and could I fit it?

2. I am of the class of 2009 and I have read numerous posts from our 'elders' that noobs must NOT create new posts ... they must search, search and search some more and NEVER NEVER create a new post. So I attached to the only post that showed up in my many searches for 'Fuel Pump Harness', 'loose connection', 'wires under rear seat' etc that showed a reference to the unconnected harness.

What part of the alarm system would it be? I thought the alarm was situated in the headlining near the rearvision mirror.

At your suggestion, I will create a new thread to try and find the answer and put my flamesuit on.
Or you could try searching for options you don't have or loose wire ends under seats.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts