E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always got gas at Arco(bp) and lately my fuel gauge has been going crazy, it goes up and down drastically and was not accurate at all, so I knew I had to replace the sending unit, but then a few days later I was getting low on gas (calculated but odo not gauge) and I was right by chevron so I stopped and got gas and everything was the same, but when I started the car the next morning the gauge seemed to be reading accurately so I made my normal drive and now its working perfect and its been like 4 months since then and its still working perfect, so I thought hmm.....maybe the Chevron gas actually fixed it but I dont think thats possible. So today I come across this page about the Techron additive in the Chevron gas.

"Techron, formerly known as techroline, is a patented additive developed by Chevron Products Company, consisting of a family of compounds known as polyether amines.[1] Techron reduces accumulation of deposits in fuel injectors and on intake valves, and prevents or removes sulfur deposits from fuel sending units. With the introduction of Techron, Chevron gasolines became designated as meeting TOP TIER standards for fuel cleanliness.

Techron is also available as a packaged concentrate, for use with lower quality gasoline ("under-additized"). Both Volvo and Mercedes-Benz have issued factory service bulletins advising the use of concentrated Chevron Techron in repair procedures for vehicles with certain mechanical problems."

So I guess it was the gas that fixed the sending unit, anybody having this problem I would recommend you try this gas because you might save yourself some money! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
48 Posts
It's true Techron will fix sender units, fixed my 325xi which was all over the place and some other guys GMC Jimmy sender as well. Makes the engine run smoother and helps with gas mileage. I don't like Chevron gas myself, I use Sinclair gas which is from Canada, I add the Techron additive. Ya its more money but in the long run it will be better for my engine. That and I am not giving my money to the middle east, Canada deserves it.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Techron as in the bottle of the concentrated stuff? I use chevron all the time and my sending unit has never really worked... :/ Guess I'll run to autozone. You never know!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have the same issue and switched to Shell in hopes that their claims of "V-Power" will help clean off some internal parts. Hasn't worked yet, but I do feel like it's better than the QT gas I was using prior. I'll give Chevron a shot on the next few fill-ups.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Techron as in the bottle of the concentrated stuff? I use chevron all the time and my sending unit has never really worked... :/ Guess I'll run to autozone. You never know!
Ya I poured 2 of the "mix with 12 gallons of gas" bottles in when it was near empty and than filled up and ran it through. Sender works like a charm now.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
madhatter, the Shell gas probably isn't working to fix your problem because QT gas is not the problem. Both are top tier rated gasolines. I've been using QT gas in my supercharged 330ci for over 3 years now and have not had any problems what so ever.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Mobil gas is NOT on the top tier list. It does not seem to be inferior to top tier list stations' gas though. More over it seems to me better than Shell (car runs stronger and smoother). Anybody with similar experience or is it all in my head? :)

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Stronger and smoother does not mean that the gasoline has detergents in it. Top tier gas is rated so because it has the right amount/mixture of additives to properly clean your engine and keep your engine clean for an extended period of time.

Your car may run stronger and smoother, but it may end up losing power in the end when all the crude builds up around your valves, on top of your pistons, etc.etc.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts