E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, can anyone help. I've purchased a new fuel pump by Bosch. I checked part numbers on real oem using the vin and ensured the specific numbers matched yet the new pump is significantly smaller as you can see in the first picture. The car is a 2002 330 ci. My question isn't so much what do I do, it's more a case of is this right? I notice from real oem that a newer part has superseded the original parts (again see pic). It could be that the new Bosch pump is actually correct and that it doesn't need to be so large. Has anyone experience of swapping out the pump and finding the new one is smaller - and if so - have you had any problems with the new one?

Auto part

Text Font Material property

· Registered
2003 325Ci Convertible
174 Posts
I've never heard of anyone having problems with the bosch units even though the pump IS smaller on all of them I've ever seen...

That being said, I did VDO when I preventatively replaced my pump. VDO is the OE manufacturer for BMW -- it's the exact same unit. Bosch is aftermarket.

I bought mine at FCP: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-fuel-pump-right-side-oem-16146766942

TLDR: I'd go with VDO, but haven't heard any problems with Bosch

· Registered
2002 330i, 2000 323i
1,048 Posts
When my pump was failing I ordered a Bosch pump however, when it arrived I noticed that on the box the word "Made in China" were on it. This was enough for me to send it back and I ordered the VDO, made in Germany for even less than the Bosch at that time. I would stick with VDO!

· OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
26,368 Posts
well as mentioned the Bosch isn’t the OE for this part. the company that makes them for BMW is VDO/Siemens.
pump pickup looks same depth so it should be fine. but if some original owners are getting over 200,000 miles you know it’s made well. it’s optimal to buy VDO again as you don’t hear issues of longevity (although a batch of some sender arms). but Bosch is better than a lot of crap out there so you could do a whole lot worse.

· Registered
183 Posts
When my pump was failing I ordered a Bosch pump however, when it arrived I noticed that on the box the word "Made in China" were on it. This was enough for me to send it back and I ordered the VDO, made in Germany for even less than the Bosch at that time. I would stick with VDO!
Should this really matter in case of a manufacturer like Bosch? They put the plant wherever it's cheaper to produce, but the location should not have much to do with the actual quality assurance.

I've recently replaced my fuel filter, I went with Mahle as it's OEM. It's made in Germany, however the fuel pressure regulator is made by Bosch, which is manufactured in Brasil.

· Registered
60 Posts
I am 330Ci owner.

I done preventive maintenance for the fuel pump like you. I do aware that some model's pump unit itself is different size.

I purposely buy the aftermarket GMB pump motor itself for ~ CAD$80 to keep the repair cost down, as the new VDO unit cost CAD$300 here. I swapped the motor itself, and keep the rest as original, as people complained the fuel level sensor is not accurate for some aftermarket part.

It has been 4 yr, and it performed well.

· OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
26,368 Posts
I do aware that some model's pump unit itself is different size.
I purposely buy the aftermarket GMB pump motor itself for ~ CAD$80 to keep the repair cost down, as the new VDO unit cost CAD$300 here. I swapped the motor itself, and keep the rest as original...
yes the size doesn’t mean it’s doesn’t flow as much or is bad. heck I can’t even think I’ve seen a larger motor used. in the E46 aftermarket higher volume fuel “pump” use they are always smaller. Walbro being brand often used even sells a “sleeve” so that it can fit in the position it does because it’s smaller. or people make ways for it to fit because it’s significantly smaller and compact.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.