BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

I've swapped in a new engine harness and now I'm getting a fuel pump relay error code 69 in ms4x flasher and INPA

The wiring all tests out good and so does the relay.

Any suggestions where to look next?

·
Registered
11,102 Posts
Why did you swap in a new harness? Did you do an engine swap or was the old harness bad? Are you sure the new harness is compatible with your car?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why did you swap in a new harness? Did you do an engine swap or was the old harness bad? Are you sure the new harness is compatible with your car?
Old harness was destroyed by previous owner.

The new harness was ms42, so I changed the pins to i suit ms43. I did not touch the fuel pump relay wiring. Could it be something in the ecu?

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
I am an apprentice electrician
Yes, kind of sounds like it cuts out when I push the gas
OK, so when the fuel cuts out, I would check if the relay output is 12v or not, and if not, then is the relay energized by the DME, and if not then check at the DME connector if the pin that connected to the relay has 12V (or grounded if it is active low) to energize the relay.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Y
OK, so when the fuel cuts out, I would check if the relay output is 12v or not, and if not, then is the relay energized by the DME, and if not then check at the DME connector if the pin that connected to the relay has 12V (or grounded if it is active low) to energize the relay.
Thought of that earlier, hooked up my meter to the pump. While revving etc pump still holds around 12.6v, seems fine?

·
Registered
11,102 Posts
The relay could be going bad. Maybe the DME is checking pump voltage and is seeing something that you can’t see with a meter. My advice is to buy a new relay. It’s cheap insurance.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The relay could be going bad. Maybe the DME is checking pump voltage and is seeing something that you can’t see with a meter. My advice is to buy a new relay. It’s cheap insurance.
I've replaced it with a whole bunch of spare ones that I have. Seems odd

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
Any idea why I've got a fuel pump relay fault then?
If the pump got 12v then the relay is energized for sure, or maybe it is energized all the time and causing the error code? Are you sure the pump only run for about 2sec when turn the key to ON?

·
Registered
2000 E46 323i, 3.0L and 2.0L Z3's
681 Posts
Have you checked the wiring diagrams to see what is different between the MS42 and MS43 harnesses?

Get your wiring diagrams here. BMW WDS Online

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If the pump got 12v then the relay is energized for sure, or maybe it is energized all the time and causing the error code? Are you sure the pump only run for about 2sec when turn the key to ON?
Yep, in second position pump primes then switches off, sounds okay

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
DTC = traction control system. Usually DTC fault # 69 is a pressure problem.
Where did you get a fuel pump relay related to this?
Care to share an entire screen shot?
I'll send you screenshots later tonight

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
DTC = traction control system. Usually DTC fault # 69 is a pressure problem.
Where did you get a fuel pump relay related to this?
Care to share an entire screen shot?

Here you go, this issue doesn't seem to affect the running of the car now. Just wondering why it's there

1 - 20 of 24 Posts