E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me first lay the ground work.

I purchased my 05 E46 M3 in Nov of 2016 and the car had been sitting for several months and the battery was dead and needed replacing. I made two bone head mistakes that I’m embarrassed to admit. I connected the jumper cables to the battery in the trunk (not under the hood) and hooked the cables up backwards (red to black and black to red), I know what a bone head! :facepalm:

After realizing my bone head mistake the damage was done. I disconnected the cables, then waited a few minutes, connected the cables correctly and the car would turn over but not start. I searched the fuse box and I replaced the #20 fuse, a 20A fuel pump fuse as it was tripped. After doing this, I was able to jump start the car (while still jumping the car incorrectly). After returning home with the new battery installed, I turned the car off and noticed the fuel pump continued to run (the car fan fine). I now must either remove the negative battery terminal connection or pull the #20 fuse in the glove box to make the fuel pump stop.
I then opened the fuse box/relay box under the hood on the driver’s side. I removed the block of five fuses and checked the center one, a 20A fuse as research lent me to believe it maybe the issue. The fuse did look a little burnt but after testing it the fuse was fine, I replaced it just to be safe.

I’m thinking maybe I should replace the fuel pump relay next, any thoughts?

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,390 Posts
yep i'd switch it out with the horn relay next to it. very easy to do and troubleshoot. start with the easiest and move down the line.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My research lead me to believe the M3 coupe's fuel pump relay was in the trunk on the passenger side near the strut tower, is there more than one?

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,390 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts