BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last winter my fuel injectors started leaking in cold weather. So first I replaced the O-rings on the injectors - didnt solve the problem. Then I replaced the injectors. Haven't had any issues in the summer, however the cold weather sets in now, and I noticed the leaks again.
I need advice on fixing the leak.
Is replacing the fuel rail gonna solve the problem ?

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
It's extremely unlikely that replacing the fuel rail will solve your problem.

What injectors did you replace with? I believe cold weather leaking was a known issue with early model injectors and BMW has since updated them to resolve this issue (IIRC, it was a problem with the materials used). If you got used injectors, they may have been the same leaky injectors. If you got new injectors from anywhere other than a dealer, you may still have received the old injector design. If you got them from a BMW dealer last winter, you should be able to get your new injectors replaced under warranty.

What I remember of the issue is from info posted online years ago. You should be able to search out more info on this subject.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Where is it leaking? At the top by the rail? Or into the manifold?

·
Registered
676 Posts
I had/have the same problem. my injectors leaked, replaced the o-rings, it never got cold enough to have the problem again. Next winter came and I was in Laramie Wy, -50 for a week and the leaked every time. Fvck. Well i guess when I have 600 bucks lying around new injectors it is.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Same problem here when weather drops below -5f. I think a fuel leak in engine compartment is a huge fire hazard. I suggest you guys to contact BMW and file a formal complaint. I already did so, all you need is to give them the VIN and your contact information. I doubt they will make a recall but just in case one E46 catches on fire the owner might have some leverage against BMW.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey guys Im having this issue and i believe its related to the injector leak. The car is a 2004 e46 330i zhp, it starts in the morning with out any problems. The problem is when i drive it and park it and anywhere between 30min-10hrs after that the car is difficult to start, I need to add full throttle and after it starts while cranking for 3-5sec, I usually smell fuel.
My question is this. If I replace the o-rings is it going to solve my issue or perhaps is this a bad fuel injector??
Is there a way to diagnose a faulty fuel injector and a way to fix it? any suggestions what I should do first?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Is there a way to diagnose a faulty fuel injector and a way to fix it? any suggestions what I should do first?
I would have the injectors cleaned. My E30 had similar problems and it was about $250 to get all 6 injectors cleaned and flow tested. Some of them had been leaking which caused the hard starting. I think there's a place called Dr. Injector who's pretty good but you will also be able to find something not too far away from you I would think. Also, see how much new injectors cost. I ended up paying $800 to have my car at a shop and 2/3 of that was the diagnosis and since I could have bought new injectors for $60 a piece it would have been cheaper for me to buy new ones than to have the old ones cleaned.

·
Registered
10,198 Posts
O-rings need to be made by the supplier of the o-rings to BMW. Period. Buy them at the dealer or FCPEuro. Aftermarket o-rings suck. Period. The best place to have your injectors serviced is RC Fuel Injection (https://www.rcfuelinjection.com). I have friends who are master techs and they all swear by this company. Your injectors are:
  • ultrasonically cleaned
  • pressure tested
  • calibrated so that all 6 injectors are spraying the same amount of fuel.
They charge $25 per injector. That’s a bargain.

·
Registered
92 Posts
When i damaged my lower o ring i had to fix it somehow quickly. Found used Audi injectors from 2.0 tfsi with blue upper o ring. it was much thicker but fit in. I liked it and after replaced them all with Audi o rings. I did it simply because they were free and in place. They just can not leak air even if they damage a little.
Same should be for upper ones. Just be accurate, do not bend anything. You could use anything but for fuel and a little thicker and don't use oil for lubrication or it will become even thicker.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts