E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so recently my fuel gauge has been jumping up and down, even when im parked and now its stuck on completely full all the time no matter what. I have a 2004 330ci and i did some research on what it could be, i ran the OBC hidden codes test and it shows 240330 for test 6. my numbers didnt match the one on the easter egg thread, so im thinking its my left sending unit. would you guys agree? im not to sure

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
The One has returned in the form of an automobile.
You must return your car to the Source or the human race will suffer a catastrophe to extinction.

·
Registered
133 Posts
annd.....why is this a bad thing ?!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
its a bad thing because its stuck on full when i really dont have a full tank ill have like 1/4 and it will still say full. so out of everyones post no one wrote anything useful? i guess ima go to the bimmerforums maybe they know what a bmw is.

·
Registered
0 Posts
A little trick for ya... Remove both fuel sending units and rub a no 2 pencil eraser on the potentiometer, and they will operate properly.

·
Registered
130 Posts
A little trick for ya... Remove both fuel sending units and rub a no 2 pencil eraser on the potentiometer, and they will operate properly.
Try doing that ^^. also, when removing both the fuel pump && sending unit, make sure the metal floater arms move freely and swing easily. I bought my replacement fuel pump when mine failed, and when it was installed, the floater arm came unclipped slightly from the pump which prevented it from swinging/ floating properly, which in turn said my tank was half full all the time. Pulled my fuel pump out, saw the arm was not sitting flush in it's holder, snapped it back in place and has worked perfectly since.

·
Registered
10,212 Posts
It's not a potentiometer, it's a variable resistor.

And suppose the OP doesn't know what you're talking about. Try to add a little instructive detail to make your suggestion useful.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts