E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, so today i replaced both my passenger side fuel pump and sending unit and drivers side sending unit. I went to the gas station and filled up and the needle shows a little less than full. Its right in the middle between 3/4 and full. I opened the hidden obc menu and it shows 240330 which means its full. So the question is, why is my gauge showing a little less than full? I was thinking maybe i should realign the gauge needle but i dont know how. Can anyone help? If i realign the needle, i can do the sharpie mod while im in there too :)
So if anyone can help i would really appreciate it!

·
Premium Member
28,908 Posts
I would not try to realign the needle on the dash, this is not the problem.

I would also wait for the car to sit overnight and see what happens as well as run the fuel level down.

For the interim I would be watching the vehicle miles driven to make sure you do not run out of fuel. You should be easily able to get 250 miles per tank with a lot left in reserve.

Also possible you bent a fuel level arm installing the senders?

Did you install the gaskets correctly? Gaskets on the tank lip then install the senders into the gaskets mounted in the tank?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah ive gone off the mileage for a while now. And im 100% sure i did everything right because the key thing here is that in the obc menu the number shows 240330 which means 24 liters in one side and 33 in the other. This adds up to 57 liters or 15 gallons. Isnt this the fuel capacity or am i wrong?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
its got to be your indicator which needs to be replaced

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
you mean the fuel gauge? ive seen it go to full before. Wouldn't this mean the whole cluster would have to be replaced?

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Yeah ive gone off the mileage for a while now. And im 100% sure i did everything right because the key thing here is that in the obc menu the number shows 240330 which means 24 liters in one side and 33 in the other. This adds up to 57 liters or 15 gallons. Isnt this the fuel capacity or am i wrong?
Whenever I fill up it always goes to 240330. I think that's the default for as full as it gets.

·
Premium Member
28,908 Posts
Lets get the story straight here.

Why did you replace the fuel senders?

Did the fuel gauge behavior change since the new sending units were installed?

Seems that maybe you have always had an issue with the fuel gauge and this is why you changed the sending units?

Perform a cluster test via the Hidden OBC Menu, you know how to get there, see the 4th link in my signature for info on the Cluster test.

If the fuel gauge does not fully sweep with the cluster test, then as mentioned above the fuel gauge motor is probably bad.

Search around on ebay and Google for other suppliers of the individual gauge motors.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok well heres the story. Ever since i got my car, the tank was empty when the gauge showed half. So about a month ago i finally replaced the fuel pump and sending unit on the passenger side. After i did this, the gauge showed 3/4 when i filled up and after about 50 miles, it would creep up to full and then it would slowly go down to empty like it should. So now at least i knew when i was empty but i continued to go off my miles and filled up at 250 just in case. Today the other drivers side sending unit was delivered and i replaced it. I filled up but it still didnt show full but the obc showed 240330 which is indeed full.

I ended up taking out my instrument cluster and opening it up, what i ended up doing was pushing the gauge all the way to the right and then all the way left to where it stopped. I also did the sharpie mod. I put the cluster back in and voila! it showed full now. I then did the gauge test and it ran the full cycle and it looks perfect. I will now drive to empty and fill up and see if everything goes well. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the help everyone!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts