E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Depends on what you want out of it. PRI-G is a good stabilizer and why alot of boaters use it. It contains a regular ole Stoddard solvent for the cleaning, which isn't all that effective. RedLine SI-1 is a good choice in addition to Ken's recommendation for Techron. I personally use a mild system cleaner that has stabilizing properties as well www.lubecontrol.com . Another that I'm about to try is a bio/renewable product www.renewablelube.com . Folks that have used it give it high marks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Chevron Techron?... What does that do exactly?... Is that only sold in the states, what about a Canadian alternative?...

·
Registered
31 Posts
^^^ Thanks alot!... So really, do alot of you guys use this stuff?? How dramatic is the difference before and after?

·
Registered
234 Posts
^^^ Thanks alot!... So really, do alot of you guys use this stuff?? How dramatic is the difference before and after?
I didn't really notice anything to be honest, but that could just mean that the previous owner took really good care of the car.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
i always try looking for chevron techron in autozone or pep boys, but it seems they only carry STP... :banghead:

·
Registered
234 Posts
i always try looking for chevron techron in autozone or pep boys, but it seems they only carry STP... :banghead:
They should be available at all these places we mentioned. However if you are really desperate to find one, you can go to a BMW dealership and pay a few bucks more. I think it's pretty much the same stuff but relabelled by BMW... That's what I got when I first tried this stuff.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I didn't really notice anything to be honest, but that could just mean that the previous owner took really good care of the car.
Or that it doesn't do anything at all...

I vote for b....

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I always use the Techron stuff as well...I definitely felt the difference the first time I used it...Nothing crazy, but just a little more "zip" and definitely better fuel mileage.

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
As per Ken's suggestion, I added a bottle of Chevron Techron to my VW. I had between 1/2 and 1/4 tank when I poured it in. After adding it, I had to take a 40 mile trip into Jersey. I noticed that my car was accelerating a little better after about 15 - 20 mins of pouring in the Techron. Once I arrived, I turned off the car and smelled something kinda funky. I mustve had really dirty fuel lines, injectors, etc. 2 hours later I get back in my VW and go home. At this point I had already forgotten that I added the Techron. I was on the highway and I was thinking to myself "damn my car is running smooth today". Then I remembered that I had added the Techron. I still have less then a quarter tank left. They say you really feel the difference once you refill your car after its been added. Ill post results on my next refill.

Any automotive product such as Techron usually gets tested on my VW prior to using it on my M3. I'm definitely going to buy another bottle and pour it into my M3. Should I pour it into my tank when its at a quarter, half, or full? I'm thinking I should add it at a quarter this way fuel doesnt dessolve the additive too much.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have had some good luck with this stuff http://www.redlineoil.com/products_fueladditives.asp which my mechanic friend recommends.
Used it in both my e46 and my Denali and seem to work well on starts and mpg. If you are going to use it on an e46 BUY A FUNNEL. I was cleaning this crap out of my inner fender because I missed horribly when trying to pour.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts