E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I got a bad tank of gas and when the car has warmed up (1/2 hr of highway driving) it shudders in first gear at around 2000rpm. I thought I'd put in some fuel additive on my next fill up today but was wondering if this will affect any of my sensors or anything else. Anybody use this stuff? Any recommendations?

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
Is that a product or do I drive to the nearest coast and dump some in? I've never heard of Seafoam and I don't think its avail. up here.
most gas you get nowadays have additives in in already. so just fill up.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've had this happen before but not from the same station. Every time I filled up again, the problem disappeared so I think you're right. But would additives hurt our cars? Just curious.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I use this

Same thing, different bottles, and different prices; with the BMW bottle being grossly over priced of course!

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
If you mean octane boosters, then yes. They did a test on a 1.6 liter Honda motor (if I recall correctly) and it actually LOST horsepower. I ran my old '99 Acura TL without any additives (ever!) and it lasted me 145K miles on top of the 132K it already had on it. My Passat never got additives... it lasted me 65K miles (it got totaled at 175K miles) and still ran like new (it also had a new cylinder head put in at about 113K miles due to the class action lawsuit).

Fuel injector cleaners, concentrated mega butt blast formulas, or whatever else... never used 'em, never had problems.

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
If you mean octane boosters, then yes. They did a test on a 1.6 liter Honda motor (if I recall correctly) and it actually LOST horsepower. I ran my old '99 Acura TL without any additives (ever!) and it lasted me 145K miles on top of the 132K it already had on it. My Passat never got additives... it lasted me 65K miles (it got totaled at 175K miles) and still ran like new (it also had a new cylinder head put in at about 113K miles due to the class action lawsuit).

Fuel injector cleaners, concentrated mega butt blast formulas, or whatever else... never used 'em, never had problems.
octane is harder to burn unless you have the right compression.

·
Registered
181 Posts
+1 for Seafoam, I use this stuff religously in all 3 of my cars and my toys. I usually put a half can in the gas tank and the other half down the booster, sometimes a 1/3 in the oil, 1/3 in the gas tank and a 1/3 in the booster to clean everything out... Stuff works miracles, if you have questions just google seafoam and there are a million videos of people using it in their car.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
+1 on Techron, carried at autoparts stores (Autozone, Pep Boys, Advanced Auto, in the US). Catalytic converter and sensor safe.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I use Lucas fuel treatment normally every fill up, so about once every 2 weeks. Haven't really noticed any difference but hey its only $5 a bottle.

Sent from my PG86100 using Bimmer

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey, thanks very much guys. The only reason I was worried at all was when I was reading the directions/cautions on the back of the bottles at Canadian Tire, I noticed one of them (forget which) said "safe for oxygen sensors" which made me ask why not the others. Are some bad for O2 sensors? Anyway, I can sleep easy, used the most expensive fuel system cleaner ($18 but on sale for $12) and the car is running perfectly. Thanks again for the advice.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts