E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Item: 8pcs sedan wood trim wrapped with Di-Noc ME-379, aka "brushed graphite." Shift knob not included.

Condition: I have quite a bit of wrapping experience, from real CF to vinyl, cloth, leather, etc. This wrap came out very clean with a couple exceptions: the cracks in the wood trim clear coat caused a small raised line in the driver and passenger front trims, and there is a small bubble on the shift surround (see attached pics.) The tabs on the front driver side trim tabs are cracked off. It was like that when I got the car. I'm sure there's an easy fix for it, like Velcro...Big League Chew...a massive carriage bolt right through the door...

Background: Last week I completed wrapping the Myrtle wood trim of my sedan with Di-Noc ME-379. Some call it brushed graphite. I do too because few if any have a copy of the 2009 3M Di-Noc color samples guide sitting on their desk like I do. It is an awesome material- extremely high quality, durable, has a brushed texture, and outstanding semi-metallic coloration. Unfortunately, the change hasn't totally clicked with me. The loss of contrast from gloss Myrtle wood to matte brushed graphite may have been too much given my interior is all black with a couple aluminum accents. With the darker material, it really brings out the fact that the door panel leather and dash is more "anthracite" than true black. I think brushed graphite trim would look much better in a lighter interior, such as tan, grey, and possibly imola red, cinnamon, etc.

What I'm looking for: I would like to trade for OEM sedan brushed aluminum (if it exists for sedan.) Also would be interested in trading for another wood set + cash so I can try a different Di-Noc material (lucky me, there's a distributor about 10 minutes from my office.) Other sedan trims will be considered based on what they are and what condition they are in.

Why this is a feeler: Some day I may get into the car on my way to or from work and decide I absolutely love the change. I don't want to be too hasty to dismiss the hours of labor I put into the project. If somebody has brushed aluminum trim, however, I'd consider swapping right away.

If you are interested and would like more pics, I can e-mail a 16.9mb zip file with 17 pics. Or I can take new pics. Please PM me your email address and your offer.

Any questions, fire away and I will answer them as best I can. And feel free to offer constructive criticism on the wrap/look. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Looks great man! I too wrapped my Myrtle Wood but with a matte black vinyl, I think I'm gonna switch it up to a gloss finish of some kind soon. Definitely not a lazy man job lol, good luck!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the comments, fellas. Certainly helps! :thumbsup:

I've decided I'm too goddamn picky. I don't like the OEM brushed aluminum because of the weird "wave" it has. Silver plastic trim looks boring and a bit on the cheap side.

I had a 3M rep drop off a few more samples at my office today. One was a brushed copper (ME-380 if anybody cares) and I was pretty excited about it. Thought it might provide me the contrast I'm looking for. Did a mock up as soon as I got home and it looked like shiiiiit. In low light it looks like dull, cheap wood. In high light, it looks like the top of a Duracell. I'm going to keep it on temporarily for a couple days and see how it turns out. If it still looks like shite, I have ME-1434 to test next. It's a very nice brushed aluminum, probably the same other fanatics have used. It might be too much contrast but at least it would match the aluminum on the pedals and shift knob.

The rep also dropped off an extra sample of the brushed graphite so I can experiment with applying a gloss clear coat. That may be the game changer for me. If I can get a little more gloss to the graphite, it might give me just enough contrast to be happy.

I'm still open to offers/suggestions. Dan, we'll work something out!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Are you currently in OH or MD?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think I'm going to stick with the graphite for now, maybe give it a little more gloss with a clearcoat. Thanks for the compliments and inquiries.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts