BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, heres the story. I was driving with my friend who has an E36 M3 in my E46 M3. It was a couple days ago and I was just filling the car up with gas due to it had been sitting because of the ice storm. Driving home my friend was asking about the SMG gearbox and how I could access the S6 program. I told him that I had to disengage the traction control to do it and did so. We were coming up to my turn and I turned and managed to hit some gravel and a bunch of water at the same time. The car immediatley started to spin a bunch. Immediatley it dove towards the curb. I corrected with proper application of throttle and gas and tried to induce a bunch of oversteer hopefully putting the car into a spin in the middle of the road. Unfortunatley the car could not grab traction quick enough and slid the passanger rear wheel into the curb.

While getting the car to a nearby parking lot and noticing how close I was to hitting the fire hydrant that I avoided with my driving manuver I realized that the car pulled heavily to the right and I had to coutersteer with almost a quarter turn of the steering wheel to get it going straight. Over 20mph and the car felt like it was rattling to death. :banghead: Also, I noticed that the car was dragging the wheel and many of the lights on the dash were on so I suspect both a RR P brake failure and a RR wheel speed sensor. Traction control light permanently on.

The next day I called BMW roadside and had them flatbed the car to BMW of sterling and got my estimate today.

RR Lower Control arm
RR Control Arm Knuckle
RR Shock
RR Wheel
R Tire
RT axle

$4200!!!!!!

A couple other things and they still dont know if I messed up the diff.

AdamR

·
Banned
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
QUESTIONS FOR YOU ALL :
1) Is this estimate too high?
2) Unless there is piston damage, do you think that a shock should be replaced? I dont know how it would have to be replaced :shruggs:

AdamR

·
'a certain moderator'
38,139 Posts
:sad: that sucks man, sorry to hear that.... seems like so many people are getting into accidents lately, glad you were not hurt.

-brendan

·
Bimmerless
1,957 Posts
Damn, that is mad drama. Sorry to hear man. I could see how your shock tower might be cracked, but the shock needing a replacement sounds pretty bad.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Holy cow, sorry to hear that!!

I hit a curb with DSC off, cost me about a grand to fix everything, haven't turned it off since.

·
Registered
107 Posts
digitalgm said:
QUESTIONS FOR YOU ALL :
1) Is this estimate too high?
2) Unless there is piston damage, do you think that a shock should be replaced? I dont know how it would have to be replaced :shruggs:

AdamR
Sorry to hear that..:bawling:
Had the same happend to my 330ci, but it was completely my stuipidty..anyways. It costs me around $3K including labor...
plus wheel alignment and some other cosmetic stuff so the grand total was close to $4000 also.

1. Make sure you don't need a new drive shaft caus mine was bent.

2. Make sure your rear shock tower/s are in good shape, wheel alignment should tell you that.

3. And get it done at a BMW dealership, don't try to save a few bucks...and make sure you thoroughly check the car out before accept it back listen for any noise.

Best of luck!!

Attachments

·
Banned
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the wellwishes guys. Here is the list that the service manager emailed to me. Anything sound out of the ordinary?

BMW of Sterling - http://www.bmwofsterling.com/
Need to start with:
Replace r/rear wheel and tire-365.00 for tire and 775.00 for wheel-89.95 labor
Replace r/rear lower control arm-81.00 for arm and 270.00 for labor
Replace r/rear shock absorber-155.20 for shock and 225.00 for labor
Replace r/rear axle shaft-353.00 for shaft and 135.00 for labor
Perform 4wheel alignment and re-evaluate after repairs are performed
Replace r/rear knuckle, trailing arm and upper rear control arm- parts are
756.00 and labor is 630.00

Possible rear differential replacement also is splines are damaged and drive
flange right side-1850.00 parts and 540.00 in labor

Any misc. add 100.00 plus tax

And again this is a prelimanry estimate until above work is performed

----------

AdamR

·
Registered
51 Posts
Ouch, thats ugly man. Hope you are all right. :cry:

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
seems like so many people are getting into accidents lately
And how easy all these would be to avoid too. Sorry to hear about your accident, expensive lesson to learn.

Chip-

·
Banned
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gotta say there was not too much that I could have done to avoid this. When I showed my friend traction control I was coming up to the turn. I would have gone around it and then turned it back on. My speed was an absolute max of 30mph. Evasive manuvers is what prevented any body damage. Dry pavement I would have been totally fine. I have gone to numerous racing and driving schools.

Lesson learned : no matter how good of a driver you are, DSC off + water & gravel = collision

AdamR

PS - Again, thanks for all who replied. Ill get through this its just a pain in the ass. Only a couple months old.

·
Banned
1,504 Posts
the parts look ok, u asked specifically about the shock, my guess is the lower part of the shock mount is bent or ripped off if u damaged the control arm.

but man those labor prices seem exhorbitant!!

is labor like 80 bux an hour there? assuming so, they want like 3 hours of labor to replace 1 shock absorber?? and another 3 to change the control arm?!? lol

·
Banned
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Next step : I just forwarded the list of parts to Circle, Cutter and BMW of alexandria to see what they will quote me on it. Also, my GFs dad works as a mechanic for BMW & Mercedes so Ill see if I can get him to get the parts for dealer wholesale.

AdamR

·
'a certain moderator'
38,139 Posts
maybe if there is damage to your shocks/springs or whatever, it might be a good time to upgrade to some coilovers, save yourself fixing the stock equipment. dont know if that was in your plans or not.

just a thought

-brendan

·
Registered
427 Posts
digitalgm said:
Next step : I just forwarded the list of parts to Circle, Cutter and BMW of alexandria to see what they will quote me on it. Also, my GFs dad works as a mechanic for BMW & Mercedes so Ill see if I can get him to get the parts for dealer wholesale.

AdamR
Would your insurance cover this damage??

·
Registered
93 Posts
damn dsc off, such a temptation

i did the same thing about a month ago, some of you may remember my post about the dsc off in the rain, it was one of many stories like that. Its such a temptation to turn that damn comp off because sometimes it just robs power when it doesnt need to. 4200 sounds like a decent estimate to me, if you take it to anywhere besides bmw it would probably be less. I screwed the rocker panel, the door, the front fender and the rear bumper, cost me 3600. It was all cosmetic so that could explain the lower price, no mechanical damage for me. And no bodily harm for either of us, hell yeah thats always good:lmao:

·
Banned
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Would insurance cover this? Absolutley. Would I want them to? Hell no. My rates are really high as it as and I have already been dropped from one provider. :banghead:

AdamR

·
T!TSLVR
1,263 Posts
:sad: :sad: :sad: I must say that this is THE most painful thread I have ever read. Sorry to hear digitalGM..

You guys scare the **** out of me that's why I never even tried to turn DSC off on my car.

I hope your baby gets fixed soon!!! I think I would report it to insurance since the cost is so much.....

Good luck :tsk:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Insurance is a good idea.. Heres why

If the policy is in your name.. you are allowed to have people "Borrow" the car. Quite simply.. find the oldest person you know with a license.. your parents perhaps and tell the insurance company they were driving.. Your rates shouldnt go up damn near as much as if you were driving... They are MUCH less of a risk

-Alex

·
...and I'd be all shiny..
1,835 Posts
Sorry to hear man. Dealerships always pad the hell out of their service estimates. An unfortunate part of owning a Bimmer :banghead:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts